Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#1783 - 08/24/14 09:55 PM Canine bait help
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
About 7 days ago, I trapped a woodchuck that was living under my Mothers garage, as she wanted it gone. I removed the entrails, cut it up and put it in a 1 gallon plastic jug with a loose lid on top, in the sun. My plan was to let it taint, a bit, then preserve it with sodium benzonate. Well, I had to go out of town for a few days and now the jug stinks so bad that I can smell it about 100 feet away, PLUS, the maggot flies are crawling all over the outside of the jug, trying to get in. Question! --- Should I continue to preserve it --OR --- should I "chuck" the chuck and start over? Personally, I think I waited too long and now I have Possum bait! And if I am advised to continue with the preserving process, I don't know if I will be able to stop puking long enough to finish the job. What should I do?

Ron

#1784 - 08/25/14 11:09 AM Re: Canine bait help
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
If I were you, I'd get a bucket of soapy bleach water, pour it down over the jug and screw the lid on tight. I'd do it right now, before the sun gets up.

Put that jug in a plastic bag, tie it shut and find a trash truck.

Anything that rank and nasty, I don't want anything to do with it.

#1785 - 08/25/14 01:05 PM Re: Canine bait help
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
Thank you. I was kinda thinking the same thing, but needed guidance.

Ron

#1786 - 08/25/14 02:07 PM Re: Canine bait help
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
There are some fine points to "tainting" bait, as you have observed. Under those conditions, your bait might have taken a taint it just a couple of hours.

It's not a good idea to try a tainting in the sun. That's too hot. Taint is better accomplished in a shady or dark place, with a temperature range of 70 to 80 degrees (F). You should also stir your batch at least once a day (twice is better) so the taint is even through the mixture. Under those conditions, you should get a taint in about 3 days, give or take. Then add the preservative.

Hal

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.