Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Trap Care and Preparation Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#17938 - 03/29/06 04:49 PM cleaning cable stakes
skinner69 Offline

Loc: stillwater,new york
This was my first season using the berkshire "disposable" cablestakes,before that i was a member of the old iron stake brigade for a long time.I was told by the dealer i bought them from not to clean them in a lye bath as the lye would eat the aluminum ferrules and they would come apart.I usually clean all my traps and stakes in a lye bath before rinsing and dyeing,waxing.I've got over 100 traps cablestaked and want to know if this is true about the lye eating or weakening the aluminum ferrules?If so,whats the best cleaning route for me to take without having to disconnect all the cables and boiling the traps seperately?

#17939 - 03/29/06 06:38 PM Re: cleaning cable stakes
bobkat Offline

Loc: Ruckersville, Va
From my experience you don't have to use lye. Boiling with laundry detergent cleaned up a bunch of long unused traps that had been oil dipped.

#17940 - 03/29/06 08:52 PM Re: cleaning cable stakes
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Lye, laundry detergent, and dishwashing detergent all contain caustic bases, which will attack aluminum. Do not boil anything with aluminum ferrules in these substances.

smile -- Hal

#17941 - 03/30/06 12:18 AM Re: cleaning cable stakes
henry fitzgerald Offline

Loc: Quakertown, Pa.
If it is just dirt or dried mud take everything to the car wash and use the high pressure sprayer. This gets rid of skunk smell too.

#17942 - 03/30/06 09:10 AM Re: cleaning cable stakes
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
In my less than humble opinion, high pressure spraying will never be a substitute for boiling. Especially in regards to odors and chemicals (salts) that may have penertated the pours of the metal.

That said, high pressure washing would certainly be better than doing nothing to the traps.

In this particualr case, I believe I would just go ahead and remove those stakes from your traps. Boil the traps in a detergent solution. Then boil the stakes seperately in a plain water bath. Plain old boiling water will remove about 95% of all the contaminants.

smile -- Hal

#17943 - 03/30/06 02:00 PM Re: cleaning cable stakes
skinner69 Offline

Loc: stillwater,new york
Thanks Hal,i was hoping not to have to disconnect all the cables and replace the s ring attachments but looks like that's what i'm going to be doing-stinks for me but good for you as i get all my hardware from you!

#25381 - 10/17/17 12:27 PM Re: cleaning cable stakes [Re: skinner69]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.