Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Trap Care and Preparation Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#17968 - 10/05/05 08:55 PM Re: Boiling traps.. does it weaken the temper of the steel?
Coy-Dog Offline

Loc: Ransomville,N.Y
I Have a lot of old victor's and i use agas burner off an old outdoor grill i made up. I would think if it got that hot my name tag's would melt.IT'S got to be from getting them to rusty to maney times or did you try cleaning them with acid.

#17969 - 10/06/05 10:06 AM Re: Boiling traps.. does it weaken the temper of the steel?
Hale87 Offline

Loc: pa
If a tree falls in the woods and you're not there,,,,, does it make a sound?

(First chance,last chance.If you have something to contribute by all means do so.If not this isn't the place to post..Ric)

#17970 - 10/06/05 02:02 PM Re: Boiling traps.. does it weaken the temper of the steel?
Hale87 Offline

Loc: pa
Ric, I'm sorry you couldn't figure it out. Point was that if you weren't there to see the traps go in and you weren't there when they came out. Then you really don't know what happened. I grew up in a very mecahnically inclined family. My father ran his own refrigeration business. I've been around things of this nature forever. I really don't tink I've crossed some "line", but if you want to ban me for something so trivial as this?? Help yourself life's too short. Ric, your a moderator of a trapping board,,,,, not governor of your state. LOL

#17971 - 10/06/05 02:24 PM Re: Boiling traps.. does it weaken the temper of the steel?
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
How about this then... The traps were bad before you put them in the boiling water?

(I'm not governer either, but I'll ban ya quicker than Ric will... LOL)

frown -- Hal

#17972 - 10/06/05 02:43 PM Re: Boiling traps.. does it weaken the temper of the steel?
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I'm closing this post.

Note: It is not possible to destroy the temper of trap springs at the temperature of boiling water. Particularly if the traps are boiled for a reasonable period of time, say a half hour or less. You should be able to boil a trap clean in a half hour. However, I don't believe that exposures over that period of time would be too injurious either.

smile -- Hal

#21148 - 12/12/14 10:34 AM Re: Boiling traps.. does it weaken the temper of the steel? [Re: trap jaw]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.