Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Trap Care and Preparation Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#17958 - 10/04/05 12:29 AM Re: Boiling traps.. does it weaken the temper of the steel?
coon87 Offline

Loc: pa
Do you wax your rebar stakes????

(edit..Please start a new thread for a new question..Ric)

#17959 - 10/04/05 04:48 AM Re: Boiling traps.. does it weaken the temper of the steel?
crossfox21 Offline

Loc: Echo,OR
I was told by Pete Askins (founder of Sleepy Creeks) that you should have some spacing between the bottom of the pot and the contact area of the traps that are on the bottom of the pot. For example....before putting your traps and water in the pot....put some mesh screen in that hold the traps away from direct contact of the bottom. It makes since to me since the flame is hottest at that part of the pot.

#17960 - 10/04/05 12:40 PM Re: Boiling traps.. does it weaken the temper of the steel?
Hale87 Offline

Loc: pa
When I first discovered the springs were bad I decided to replace them. Well,,, it didn't take long to figure out the levers were bad as well. When setting the trap the off-side ( these were not fourcoiled ) of the spring lever would go down way too easily. I don't know how to explain it any better. The spring side obviously has more pressure on it so it came up first. You would push down on them and they would bend rather than go down. There's an off chance that maybe my brother still has one of those traps. If I can find one of them,,,,, I'll put this topic to rest.

#17961 - 10/05/05 07:42 PM Re: Boiling traps.. does it weaken the temper of the steel?
trap jaw Offline

Loc: Lancaster Co. Pennsylvania
I never really gave much thought to the temperature at the bottom of the pot. Does anyone know if it's possible that it can be that much hotter that it makes a considerable difference?

Also, it's interesting that it was stated that Victor traps were ruined from boiling. I've heard this before about the older Victors but I've not heard of it happeneing to newer Victors. Maybe the steel quality wasn't as good on the older traps?

#17962 - 10/05/05 07:48 PM Re: Boiling traps.. does it weaken the temper of the steel?
ErikT Offline

Loc: South Central PA
I know a full-time team of nusance trappers that boil tens of thousands of traps per year. To weaken the spring on a new conibear they first compress the springs and put the clips on, then boil on the bottom of the pot for an extended period of time ( I can't reference a specific length of time). This makes setting easier when they are setting dozens per day.

#17963 - 10/05/05 08:45 PM Re: Boiling traps.. does it weaken the temper of the steel?
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Before this goes much futher lets lay off the anecdotal and second hand evidence.
If you have had a personal experience by all means lets talk about it.
Personally I want to meet the fella who intensionally weakens 10,000+ traps by boiling them and has time to run a business.

#17964 - 10/05/05 08:51 PM Re: Boiling traps.. does it weaken the temper of the steel?
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Water at bottom of pot? Practically, water is water.All the water in you container is going to be very close to the same temp.Now if the trap is in direct contact with the bottom of the container you could get some higher temps. through metal to metal transfer.This would be quickly disapated by the surounding water so I can not see it causing a problem

#17965 - 10/05/05 09:59 PM Re: Boiling traps.. does it weaken the temper of the steel?
Coon_Gitter Offline

Loc: Hillsdale NY
Alot of my traps are already atached to my traps to the tip of them gets died and waxed.

#17966 - 10/05/05 11:40 PM Re: Boiling traps.. does it weaken the temper of the steel?
skinner69 Offline

Loc: stillwater,new york
I boil all of my traps in a large stainless steel high sided pan over a fire like everyone else probably does.I still use alot of old victors that belonged to my father when he trapped over 30 years ago.I have never had a problem with springs weakening or traps loosing their temper when doing this-even the ones on the bottom of the boil pan in direct contact with the bottom are fine.Yes,i've replaced a few springs due to age and rust,but after some of them been in use for 30 years they were due for a change.I just cant see how boiling traps in a pan over a wood fire can weaken them and cause them to loose temper unless your using a blast furnace for a heater.

#17967 - 10/06/05 12:16 AM Re: Boiling traps.. does it weaken the temper of the steel?
trap jaw Offline

Loc: Lancaster Co. Pennsylvania
Skinner, you mention "a blast furnace" Not to be ignorant, but what do you mean by that? I was considering getting one of those propane turkey cookers. The ones that you cook the turkey in hot oil. I had heard of these being used and I was considering it for the idea of making boiling quicker and easier by not having the mess of a wood fire. Now I know these burners can get pretty hot but you can regulate the heat. Is something like this what you were refering to as "a blast furnace" type thing.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.