Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Trap Care and Preparation Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#18021 - 09/05/06 07:24 AM Re: trouble finding lye
TexA Offline

Loc: Estherville, Iowa
Yes, Lye is getting harder to find. The reason is exactly because of the drug trade/mfgring.

SANTI-FLUSH will work the same as LYE. Treat it the same as you would LYE. It is caustic and will burn the same way.

Do NoT add it to hot water, COLD WATER ONLY. Pour the acid/crystals into the water, not the other way around.

--------------------- ------------------------
alatrap is right about lye (or Santi-Flush) eating away aluminum. IT WILL ALSO EAT UP COPPER TRAP TAGS, if you leave them in it long enough.

If you use copper wire to attach your tags, both substances will eat away the copper and your tags will drop off......

I use steel wire and BRASS tags. No problem with either of them in lye or Santi-Flush.....

#18022 - 09/06/06 05:48 PM Re: trouble finding lye
Otterwater0566 Offline

Loc: Austin, AR
Just use vinegar and water for cleaning, rusting, and deodorizing...I have some duke traps that still smell like lye every time they start rusting in the field. So, IMO lye isn't needed, I stocked up before they pulled the lye around here and still have several containers of it, but I prefer other methods and don't even use lye anymore. Each to his own method...LOL

#18023 - 09/07/06 07:11 AM Re: trouble finding lye
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
What does lye smell like? I used lye for years, and never noticed an odor. I just took the lid off a brand new can of Red Devil lye and sniffed. If it has any substantial odor, I'll fly over the can.

On the other hand, I seriously question the use of vinegar as a deorodizing agent. Vinegar has a strong odor.

quest -- Hal

#18024 - 09/15/06 05:45 PM Re: trouble finding lye
trapntrade Offline

Loc: Idaho
I have used the drain o powder for years with good results for cleaning. I then boil traps and snares in sage brush to give them a dull green look.

#25386 - 10/17/17 12:29 PM Re: trouble finding lye [Re: MUDDSTUD]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.