Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Trap Care and Preparation Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#18089 - 05/27/07 12:36 PM Re: Waxing Traps
Big Finger Offline

Loc: Louisiana
Good Afternoon Down here, trappers that I know, Don't dye or wax. The reason is, they use rubber jaw traps and traps for the live market. Keeping the furs aren't worth the time. You may get 2$ for a large coon. But you can get 7 to 8$ for the meat.

#18090 - 05/27/07 12:42 PM Re: Waxing Traps
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
"The reason is, they use rubber jaw traps and traps for the live market."

Call me dense, but how is that a reason for not waxing traps? You don't have rust in Louisiana?

quest -- Hal

#18091 - 06/05/07 07:36 AM Re: Waxing Traps
animalpest Offline
Member+

Loc: Western Australia
We set about 10,000 trap nights per year with "rubber jawed" traps and I treat them the same as every other trap. Live market or not, I must be missing something here!
Mike

#18092 - 06/05/07 12:10 PM Re: Waxing Traps
45/70 Offline

Loc: South Georgia, usA
I take my padded jaw traps apart, at least the ones that will come apart. I clean them seperately. Use a small brush to clean the pads, and the jaws where the pads attach.

Then I dye. I do not attach pads until after dying as there may be some water/dye held between the pad and the jaw that hasn't dried.

After dying and drying, I reassemble the pads and jaws. Then I wax.

There are some padded jaw traps that will not disassemble (pads from jaws) such as the coyote cuffs. With them, simply do the best you can.

Adios,
45/70,
RKBA !!!

#18093 - 06/06/07 01:12 AM Re: Waxing Traps
Grampa Offline

Loc: Vermont
4570, How are you controlling odors on the rubber jaw parts? How much more odor are you getting on the traps with all the handling.

I don't know about others, but I always get all my adjusting and tagging and prep done to my traps after I clean them but before I boil them in dye. The dye boil is in a large part to get rid of odors in addition to color and then I wax to protect the trap. Wax itself won't cover up handling odors! How do you control the odors?

#18094 - 06/06/07 07:34 AM Re: Waxing Traps
Hal Offline

What odors?

quest -- Hal

#18095 - 06/06/07 01:50 PM Re: Waxing Traps
45/70 Offline

What odors?

I use a small brush to remove any gross dirt and blood. Then the rubber jaws machine, screws and nuts go in the dishwasher.

Did I forget to memtion the gloves?

I dye the traps w/o the jaw pads attached. When they dry, I reattach the pads before waxing - don't want any liquid behind/under the pads.

There is most always blood, urine, and gunk under the pads of a trap that has caught. That, IMO, is the more important odor to get rid of, and it won't happen with the pads left on the jaws.

Personally, I find it hard to adjust AND maintain correct pan tension on a trap prior to waxing.

As we have permanent Trapper's ID numbers in this state, my tags, once installed, don't come off my traps (the ones that aren't stamped or etched).

Perhaps I am too particular with cleaning my padded jaw traps, but that's what I am omfortable with.

And, oh yes, did I mention the gloves?

Adios,
45/70,
RKBA !!!

#18096 - 06/06/07 02:48 PM Re: Waxing Traps
Hal Offline

Personally, I handle my traps with my clean bare hands. I don't believe any traces of odor I leave on these traps is going to be of any consequence. (Bill: I don't know how the devil you can put those little nuts and bolts together wearing gloves.) I just wash my hands and have at it.

As for the wax not sealing in odors... It is a common practice among some lure makers to dip the top of the lure bottles, on some of the stronger lures, in wax to keep the odor from leaking out. (I think all the Hawbaker lures used to come like this, maybe they still do.) If it works to seal the odors in a lure bottle, why wouldn't it work to seal in the odors on a trap?

smile -- Hal

#18097 - 06/06/07 09:02 PM Re: Waxing Traps
45/70 Offline

Practice.
And, I also believe it reasonable that wax will seal in odor.
Adios,
Bill,

#18098 - 06/09/07 04:40 PM Re: Waxing Traps
Big Finger Offline

Loc: Louisiana
Thanks 45/70. I understand what to do in regards to padded trapps. In the pass I would take to car wash and wash real good with the use of GI brush. And thanks to the rest of you fine people. I got into trapping by accident and for some reason,I enjoy it.. I will make a effort at dying and waxing traps Like to see how it works out. Have a good day, we gone

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.