Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Trap Care and Preparation Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#18109 - 09/25/05 09:22 PM Re: Waxing Over Paint or Dip?
Bowjo Offline

Loc: Ohio
After waxing my k-9 traps last year,I waxed some mink and coon traps that had been dipped.The dip discolered my wax.Should I use clean wax for my k-9 traps this year?Alot of people think k-9's can smell dip,but not wax.I'm a little confused on what to believe.What do you guys think?....Joe

#18110 - 09/25/05 10:05 PM Re: Waxing Over Paint or Dip?
The Beav Offline

Loc: Oregon WI
I want my wax pure. That means just plain wax no dye residue In It no dip residue In It. I just don't like to take any chances.It may not be a big deal but It makes me feel better so it makes me trap better.

Beav

#18111 - 09/26/05 08:21 AM Re: Waxing Over Paint or Dip?
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I don't give a hoot what's in my wax, as long as it is not an "animal" smell or a "food" smell. As you dip traps in the wax you are going to get things like small residual pieces of dirt (maybe hidden it the coil springs), flakes of rust, dye residue, etcetera. And if you wax a dipped trap some of the dip will dissolve and discolor your wax. I know this from experience.

Through extensive applications in the field, by thousands and thousands of trappers, none of these products have be shown to elicit a digging or avoidance response in canines.

Gary has touched on a good point. I think if a lot of trappers, especially older trappers, could overcome the psychological barriers they have established for themselves, they could enjoy trapping with much less hoopla, and much less mental stress.

smile -- Hal

#21145 - 12/12/14 10:33 AM Re: Waxing Over Paint or Dip? [Re: Mac]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.