Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Trap Care and Preparation Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#18160 - 04/02/07 05:00 PM Boiling Kettles
archer01 Offline

Loc: N.E. Penna.
Where did I recently see a picture of a 55 gal. barrel cut in half.
You put the top on the bottom and then a grate over that and the bottom of the barrel goes on top the grate for the water.

The bottom had a door way cut into it to add wood.
I have my barrel cut in half and now can't remember what the doorway looked like.

Does anyone know where I saw this pic? I believe it was here, but it could of been one of the trapper magazines. I went through everything I could think of, but can't find it.

(Edit: Title edited for clarity -- Hal)

#18161 - 04/05/07 06:21 AM Re: Boiling Kettles
TexA Offline

Loc: Estherville, Iowa
Boy, I sure don't know what you're talking about!

Are you trying to set up a barrel to cook traps in, or what?

Did you cut your barrel length-ways or cross-ways?

I guess I just don't understand and it doesn't look like anyone else does either smile

We need more info/input.....

#18162 - 04/05/07 07:07 AM Re: Boiling Kettles
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I know exactly what he's talking about.

I just don't know that I've ever seen a picture of it.

Actually this is probably a good idea because it concentrates your fire and holds the heat. It should take considerably less wood to heat the water with this set up.

Steve: I don't think there is any magic. Just cut a small square door in the bottom half of the barrel. I wouldn't cut the door all the way to the top edge, stop a few inches short. That will maintain the circular integrity of the barrel.

smile -- Hal

#18163 - 04/05/07 07:28 AM Re: Boiling Kettles
cjstrapping Offline
Member+

Loc: NorthWest Ohio
Maybe this will help?

#18164 - 04/05/07 07:32 AM Re: Boiling Kettles
Asa Lenon Offline

Loc: Gulliver, Michigan
Mine is just like Hal's drawing except that mine is constructed from two barrels horizonatlly like a barrel stove generally is constructed. Two barrels are laid on their side and about 1/3 of one horizontal side of each is cut away along a doorway in the end of one barrel and a chimney pipe hole in the other end. Then one sits one barrel on top of the firedoor cut barrel and they fit perfectly together. Hope I made sense with my description as the horizontal version will fit more traps at one time than the vertical version. Ace

#18165 - 04/05/07 08:09 AM Re: Boiling Kettles
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
The door on mine is about 14"X 14".I didn't measure,just cut an approiate sized hole.Also I cut the top out of the barrel section that contains the fire.Leaveing about 1" of the top next to the barrel rim.The stove pipe is important,your fire needs to breath

#18166 - 04/05/07 08:58 AM Re: Boiling Kettles
Hal Offline

CJ: Why to you put the "head" end of the fire-box barrel up? The water will heat faster if the flames impinge directly on the bottom of the boiling kettle.

Here's what I use. (There is an article on this in the "Rewind" archives)

A long time ago, I poured two round cement pads flush with the ground next to my trap shed. I used plain old bricks for the sides for a while, but they kept cracking. A few years ago, I switched to fire brick, and none have cracked since.

As you see, I use two barrels, one is for "cleaning" (I use dishwasher soap). The other barrel has just clean water in it. When I remove the traps from the cleaning barrel, I put them right into the "rinse" barrel.

With a one barrel system, you have to stop and overflow the barrel to get rid of the dirty water and crap that is floating on top so you don't pull your traps up through it. With two barrels, I don't have to stop. I just keep both of them boiling all the time. What little bit of stuff that sticks to the trap when I pull them from the cleaning barrel, gets rinsed off in the rinse barrel.

I should note, however, that I start with the cleanest traps first. Primarily those that are used in the water, and don't have wax on them. The last traps to go in are the waxed "land" traps, and the water is pretty dirty when I'm done with them.

smile -- Hal

#18167 - 04/05/07 09:45 AM Re: Boiling Kettles
cjstrapping Offline
Member+

Hal, yes, I agree. The above is not my set up, but a friends. I posted the pics above simply as a reference, for ideas. Myself, I use the below. A turkey fryer and a keg, converted into a boiler, complete with handles. Works very well for me.

#18168 - 04/05/07 10:47 AM Re: Boiling Kettles
archer01 Offline

WOW ! nice set ups.

Hal, your drawing is exactly the same as the picture I saw.
Your door way looks about right. I couldn't remember if the door was down or up on the bottom piece. The picture I saw calls for a cooking rack over the bottom piece for support of the top water barrel, because this was cut of of the top of the barrel. It has no ends on it. It is just a tube. Thanks.

Cjshunting, Wonderful set up, Looks like that would keep the smoke up and out of your face, plus off your traps. Its not something my wife would appreciate in our yard, but I could
put it together and take it down each time. I agree with Hal that
your bottom burner should have some top cut out of it to allow more flame to hit water. GREAT PICS ! Thanks.

asa, Sounds like a large set up. You could do alot of traps in that ! Thanks.

Ric, Is your stove pipe attached similiar to Cjshuntings?
Are you using the same size pipe? Let me know Please. Thanks.

Hal, your last pics of your own set up looks well constructed and very safe.
They seem to be able to let in enough air for burn plus contain
the heat. I will probably switch to your furnace type rigs. But I
have these tops that I will cut doors in and give em a try, I can
put them away, when done. " the wife factor". If my bottoms
ever rust out, which they will, I have printed out all of the above
pictures and will rebuild. I will probably use a combination of all of your ideas. I like the fire brick, and I like the idea of a smoke stack to keep smoke up and away. Thanks to all.

If I ever find that picture I saw I will post it here.
But Hals drawing is it.

One other note. I've been using a propane 170,000 BTU cooksall. setting my 1/2 of a 55 gal. barrel on top. Its not the safest, but it works fast.

I have noticed that if I use a LID of any type I can boil water faster. Even a piece of cardboard, anything to hold the heat in.
I can have water boiling in about 25 minutes.

Thanks to all ! smile
archer01

#18169 - 04/05/07 10:54 AM Re: Boiling Kettles
cjstrapping Offline
Member+

Archer,
Your welcome for the pics. However, as mentioned in my second post, the barrel and pipe set-up is not mine, but a friends. I use the turkey fryer and keg. I use a simlar large pot for waxing as well.
I had concidered building a barrel unit, and tossed around the idea of constructing a similar one to that of Hal's, but since using the fryer burner, I can't see trying anything else. It just works very slick, I can easily control the temps, and there's little smoke or mess. Good luck with your project.

CJ

#18170 - 04/05/07 10:59 AM Re: Boiling Kettles
archer01 Offline

Cjshunting, Yes Your last pic, this is what I use. My son will also bring his burner down and we will get both going.

Is that a quarter or a half barrel ? Why weren't we invited to
help empty it for your burner? lol.

Nice set up. Good idea ! ! !

#18171 - 04/05/07 11:26 AM Re: Boiling Kettles
Hal Offline

Lids are important. I have a couple of uncrimped barrel heads that I use for lids.

smile -- Hal

#18172 - 04/05/07 12:14 PM Re: Boiling Kettles
phys23 Offline

Loc: Idaho
cj,
I was just wondering how long that propane tank lasts you? I have everything I need for a similar setup except for the propane tank. I don't know whether I want to buy the size you have in your picture or one that is about twice that size. Please let me know.

Paul

#18173 - 04/05/07 12:29 PM Re: Boiling Kettles
cjstrapping Offline
Member+

Paul,
It's a regular size tank one uses on a grill. Starting with a full tank, I had a quarter of a tank remaining after dying and waxing over 200 traps. It costs me 11 bucks to have them filled.
CJ

#18174 - 04/05/07 02:45 PM Re: Boiling Kettles
phys23 Offline

Loc: Idaho
Thanks cj!

#18175 - 04/06/07 06:18 AM Re: Boiling Kettles
TexA Offline

Loc: Estherville, Iowa
I use my little green COLEMAN Camp Stove (2 burners) and a can of fuel runs about 6-bucks and will last two seasons. I have 2 stoves, one cooks & the other waxes as soon as the traps are dry.

My container I cook and wax in are both the same. They are larger than a regular bucket in diameter and about the same depth. They will hold up to a dozen or so traps, depending on the size of the traps.

I use two pieces of sheet metal, just large enough to cover the open-end of each bucket. A foot-long piece of lath attached to the tin makes a good handle with about 6-inches hanging over the side.

Lids DO increase the ability to heat water (and wax) much faster than without a lid.

The lids also keep the danger of "Flash-Over" to a minimum when waxing...

Neat and Clean & NO SMOKE !
------------ ---------------- ---------------
Steve: Isn't it amazing how many comments one post can bring about? Glad to help ya. TexA

#25387 - 10/17/17 12:29 PM Re: Boiling Kettles [Re: archer01]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.