Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#1817 - 02/23/14 12:13 AM predator sets
Richard2 Offline

Loc: TN
I made 12 coyote/bobcat/fox sets on public land and caught one red fox at 4 days, one coyote at 6 days. On day 10 I went to pull them for deer season and that morning I had one red fox, one grey fox and one bobcat. While these sets where in I had cold/rainy, rainy/freezing, snow/freezing weather in that order. I used venison as a bait and several different lures and bobcat or red fox urine at each set. I did not get out of hand with scent control but I did wear hip waders, gloves to make the set and bare hands to bait/lure them. When I had to remake or break them out of the ice I used the same scent control. There seams to be no coralation between my being on the sets or the catchs. The venison bait is obviously fairly mild, I don't know if to much urine could be used, I used just a small squirt at each set but I am wondering if I may have used to much lure. I never relured after making the set the first time. Did I over lure and blow out the set till it cooled off or was it a case of poor sets that the critters only came to after nasty weather made them desperate?

#1818 - 02/23/14 04:50 AM Re: predator sets
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Five catches in 12 traps in 10 days isn't too shabby.

There is no certain answer to your question. No one knows if any fur bearers were near your sets on the days you did not make a catch.

#1819 - 02/24/14 07:23 AM Re: predator sets
Richard2 Offline

Thanks Musher.Maybe I was expecting to much. Was my first season.

#1820 - 02/24/14 09:15 AM Re: predator sets
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Sounds to me like you did everything right. I don't beleive scent control was your problem. Consider the possibility that you caught a majority of the critters where your traps were located, and there were simply few left to catch.

Hal

#1821 - 03/01/14 05:03 PM Re: predator sets
Richard2 Offline

Thanks Hal, my lack of experience probably had my expectations to high. Years will cure that.
And, Sir, anything I managed to do right on the trapline is 100% because of the information I got from your books, videos and from here on the forum. Many thanks to you and all here.

#1822 - 03/01/14 07:25 PM Re: predator sets
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Thank you for your kind comments. -- Hal

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.