Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Trap Care and Preparation Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#18358 - 04/24/06 04:41 PM Re: Speed Dip Durability
MUDDSTUD Offline

Loc: S.E. ALABAMA
Well I'm not quick to call anyone an idiot. I think we all have little differences in our trapping methods that would make others scoff.
I don't have a problem taking the time to clean and wax traps. My son and I enjoy getting out of the house ( away from the girls) and having quality time around the kettle. I usually skin while boiling traps. I just don't like to be wasteful - if I can help it. The funny thing is I just thought about the heat from that kettle while skinning. It might be worth the "waste"! I was born COLD.

#18359 - 04/26/06 08:54 AM Re: Speed Dip Durability
Otterwater0566 Offline

Loc: Austin, AR
Each to his own methods, I find that a good rinsing off in the creek for real dirty or contaminated traps works for me. I do touch ups on the line w/ cheap black spray paint, right over the speed dipped trap. It dries quickly and keeps the rust under control. IMO, the animals will know that you have been there anyway...

#18360 - 05/07/06 11:56 AM Re: Speed Dip Durability
leon melton Offline

Loc: oklahoma
I have caught up to 6 coyotes at the same set, same trap. I believe the set gets better after each catch. I just throw a little dirt on the trap and rub it in each time i make a catch. When i sift dirt back over the set i want the dirt from the catch circle i dont care if theres blood in it or not. I want the whole circle to smell the same.

#18361 - 05/08/06 08:19 AM Re: Speed Dip Durability
Mr. Otter Offline

Loc: South Carolina
If your determined to to use a new trap after each catch.Then the ansewer to your problem is to buy more traps and just re do all your traps at the end of the season.

Otter

#18362 - 05/09/06 09:41 AM Re: Speed Dip Durability
MUDDSTUD Offline

Loc: S.E. ALABAMA
Well guys as I said in the earlier post. I don't have the same rate of success on the remakes - Don't know why yet. May be I expect more out of a set. This past year I averaged 12.35 animals per trap. I just can't imagine how a trap would function properly w/o treatment (cleaning, boiling, and waxing)after 3 or 4 catches. Do you fellows notice any difference in the speed of those dirty and /or rusty traps. Surely your pan tension increases due to the "grit". What about shock springs and swivels ? Don't get me wrong I know that traps need readjusting more often than not after a catch, but can you adjust enough that you feel the trap works as well after the 2nd or 3rd catch as it did after it had been treated for the first catch of that season.

#18363 - 05/14/06 07:13 AM Re: Speed Dip Durability
animalpest Offline
Member+

Loc: Western Australia
I have used quite a few traps for years that have never been waxed and they are pretty rusty! But they still work good. These traps are used in back-blocks country on cats and I would not use use them on foxes etc as a general rule (although I do catch canines in them). While a little slower than a fresh waxed trap, they catch just fine, and are similar to comparing a reasonably well used trap to a new one (with original springs).

I have some clients who use poison on foxes (its legal here) and they put their baits at exactly the same locations, year in, year out. When they first put out baits at say 10 per sq mile, some areas lose baits and and some dont. Now what that tells you is if you find a good spot that catches, stick to it! In this way, that good spot will work well time and time again. I use the exact same locations for trapping for years - if I have caught there in the beginning (if I dont catch, I normally dont bother setting there again).

In a remake situation, not only do you have a proven good spot, you have the added bonus of lots of scent to attract another one. Use it to your advantage and save yourself a lot of time looking for other locations and setting where the location just doesnt catch.
Mike

#18364 - 05/14/06 09:28 AM Re: Speed Dip Durability
Mr. Otter Offline

Loc: South Carolina
There are some animals that just won't work a catch circle.I don't belive It's because of a dirty or rusty trap. I think they are from a familly group that witnessed another member get caught.
I once witnessed a dog get caught In a trap, It was running with a pack (feral dogs).When it got caught.One dog went Into the catch circle, I supose trying to help or just being curious. The caught dog laid right Into the other dog. I would assume that bad experinces will keep some animals out of a catch circle. The most coyotes I have ever caught were 6 out of the same set and the same trap. Now these could have been coyotes just passing through and not from any familly group.

At least 2 more fresh sets with In 10' or so will solve the problem.

If I run out of clean traps I just pressure wash the dirty traps, let them dry and re wax and I'm good to go the next day.You can't do that with speed dip.

Otter

#25389 - 10/17/17 12:29 PM Re: Speed Dip Durability [Re: MUDDSTUD]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.