Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Trap Care and Preparation Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#18571 - 09/20/05 01:43 AM Rusting traps ...or not
trap jaw Offline

Loc: Lancaster Co. Pennsylvania
I tried something different this year with my trap preparation. On about 5 dozen new traps this year, I decided to not rust them before boiling. I did add a modest amount of dye to the boiling water just for the novelty of it. That was yesterday. Today I went to wax the traps and noticed what appeared to be a light coating of rust on the traps. You guys that prep your traps without first rusting the traps, is this residue going to be an issue if I wax over it?

#18572 - 09/20/05 02:47 AM Re: Rusting traps ...or not
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
You added your dye to the water that you boiled the greasy new traps in? confused

A little bit of rust will not affect your waxing of the trap. Being that you mention residue, I wonder is you have grease scum on your traps still.

RO smile

#18573 - 09/20/05 03:38 AM Re: Rusting traps ...or not
trap jaw Offline

Loc: Lancaster Co. Pennsylvania
I should have been more clear. The traps were clean of grease. I totaly cleaned them with a degreaser, then thoroughly washed them with soap and water, then power wash rinsed them. The traps were clean. The residue I'm referring to as "rust" is that light that you can practically wipe it off with a paper towel. I expected that it wouldn't cause me problems but I wanted to get some input

#18574 - 09/20/05 12:17 PM Re: Rusting traps ...or not
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
That little bit of rust won't hurt anything, but I suspect you wasted your dye. The traps have to be rusty to take the dye. The dye reacts with the rust to make a black color.

This, however, should be an eye-opener for those who think dye is a rust preventative.

smile -- Hal

#18575 - 09/25/05 12:57 AM Re: Rusting traps ...or not
skinner69 Offline

Loc: stillwater,new york
I've got 2 dozen new 1.75's and 2's degreased and hanging out under a tree to rust up before dyeing.My question is how long should i let them hang and rust before their good enuf to hold the dye?they have been out now for a week and have only rusted a little-i can see lots of clean steel and the rust thats on them is only a light orange surface rust that wipes right off.would wetting them down with a salt water splash every other day help or hurt the process?I usually don't dye and wax until about 10 days before the opener which is about 30 days from now.

#18576 - 09/25/05 02:17 AM Re: Rusting traps ...or not
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
sknr69

Just boiled, dyed, and waxed all of my steal. After the lye boil, I put everything out on the grass, including an hundred foot hank of chain for a week. Let the morning dew, rain, even a watering from the hose when doing the vegs and flowers rust them. When everything hits that rolling boil of logwood dye, it all turns pitch black. I really don't think that salt water should be used to help the cause. But then again, there are alot smarter trappers than I on this site. Enjoy, Frank. cool

#18577 - 09/25/05 02:52 PM Re: Rusting traps ...or not
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Do not use salt water to speed up the rusting process.It is difficult to remove all the salt to stop it.If you need to accellerate the rusting use a vineagar dip this can be nurilised with a bakeing soda solution

#18578 - 09/25/05 10:47 PM Re: Rusting traps ...or not
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Spraying them with plain water won't hurt.

smile -- Hal

#18579 - 09/25/05 11:29 PM Re: Rusting traps ...or not
regulargrey Offline

Loc: va.
I boiled mine in lye and let sit it has been so dry they did not rust for a week so I dipped them in vinegar and water about 50/50 and sprayed them with water and salt let sit till next day and sprayed again with water and salt they rusted up real good and rinsed real good in plain water 3 times and rubed with my hand that was the new ones about 10 of them and boiled in walnut hulls and waxed the next day do you think the salt will make them rust even with the wax on them never used salt before thanx

#18580 - 09/25/05 11:38 PM Re: Rusting traps ...or not
The Beav Offline

Loc: Oregon WI
Don't worry about It.After your first or second catch all the wax will be gone and your traps will just start to rust naturally. It happens to all of us and It's not any big deal. If your traps get some bad rust just pull power wash or boil In lye, rinse,let dry,and re wax.
That's why It's very important to have back up traps that you can use so you can have time to re do traps that get In bad shape.

Beav

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.