Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Trap Care and Preparation Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#18604 - 09/23/07 08:24 PM Re: How to clean what from traps - (acid cleaning)
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Yesterday I boiled two batches of traps using dish washer stuff. One batch was traps that I was unhappy with the wax job I did last year and were never used. The other batch were new foothold beaver traps. I had extra room in the kettle, so I included a small skinning gambrel that I thought was too oily to use as is. The upper chain was galvanized twin loop chain. After the half hour boil job, I pulled out all traps and the gambrel. I did not rinse the gambrel off, but let it cool while I readied the next batch of traps for the cooker. I then noticed that the galvanized chain had been coated with a fussy white coat of something. I had to brush each link to remove the white stuff. What happened here? Obviously some kind of chemical reaction, but from automatic dishwashing detergent??? Frank. confused

#18605 - 09/23/07 11:52 PM Re: How to clean what from traps - (acid cleaning)
GregP Offline

Loc: VT
Hal,

Whenyou use the muriatic acid, how much did you dilute it by?

When you boiled them after rinsing, what was the solution? Plain water, water + detergent, trap dye?

Greg

#18606 - 09/24/07 07:41 AM Re: How to clean what from traps - (acid cleaning)
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
On subsequent excursions, I waited until I was ready to do my general trap cleaning. I mix the muratic about 50% with water (always pour acids into water, not water into acid). When I was done, I'd rinse the traps in clear water, then boil them in dishwasher powder followed by a rinse in clean boiling water, just like the rest of my traps.

Hal

#18607 - 09/24/07 11:46 PM Re: How to clean what from traps - (acid cleaning)
GregP Offline

Loc: VT
I would put between a pint and a quart and a pint in with a couple gallons of water. So it sounds like I was diluting more than you. I don't know how fast that was working for you, I would sometimes let really rusty traps sit overnight. I would then dip them in fresh water or hose off real good.

They would go from looking like new to well rusted and ready to dye in a day but didn't get much worse than that. Was that because I diluted my mix more? If they haven't continued to rust as much, would they be ok to dye or should I still boil in detergents?

#25465 - 10/25/17 01:36 PM Re: How to clean what from traps - (acid cleaning) [Re: GregP]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.