Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Trap Care and Preparation Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#18637 - 07/28/06 11:47 AM Re: Treating snares
Buzzard.. Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I have watched Slimey do just that and understand why folk would have problems iffin they leave out his last step in the process.

I will let him explain tho...... laugh

#18638 - 07/28/06 11:56 AM Re: Treating snares
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
I've cooked my snares in baking soda also. i remember in Tom Krause's one book, he recommended the boiling in soda to "break the shine". today he spray paints his snares, just to camo them, a spurt here and there. Tom said that the baking soda will penetrate the snare and cause it to rust inside.

Have you guys ever checked a snare line in the dark? with a good light you can see 5/64 wire 40 yards. they almost glow. not sure if my snares will glow after dunking in Newt's stuff, or not? smile

#18639 - 07/28/06 12:01 PM Re: Treating snares
Buzzard.. Offline

No, they wont glow in the dark...LOL

I have some of his dipped snares he gave me, they dont shine at all or glow.

Back to the question tho, does it make a difference to a beaver, I still dont think so , but hey I am willin to listen.

#18640 - 07/28/06 12:14 PM Re: Treating snares
Mike Marchewka Offline

Loc: Crystal Lake,Illinois
Rinse them off in water and throw them out in the sun all summer.. dulls them a bit...then use them.

#18641 - 07/28/06 01:18 PM Re: Treating snares
Newt Offline

Loc: Port Republic,South Jersey & C...
Buzz , What are we trap'n for ?
ADC or Fur

Fur -No I dont think it would matter much.In "NEWTS WORLD" When I'm fur trap'n and come up with a so called "smart one". I just move on.I have found that 10 "dumb ones" are worth 10x's more that one "smart one".

ADC-Yes, Again we go into "NEWTS WORLD"
Most beaver snareman in the USA snare beaver with 7x7 3/32" cable (Tow Line)I use 1x19 1/16".When this stuff if dipped you just cant see it.
I beleave a "smart Beaver" will avoid a snare.You can train a animal to do most anything. Shackle, my dog can run down a trail set with snares and avoid every one.She will do this of course ,when I let her know that there are snares set. Or when she hits the first one.Here I talk'n about a trail that she has never been down.I do find I can catch her,when she drops her head. Under logs or fence craw unders. But only once.Some how she rembers and will go under or over the log ,or use a different craw under.

#18642 - 07/28/06 01:58 PM Re: Treating snares
redsnow Online   content

Buzzard, OK, i was talking about land snares. Seriously, a snare boiled in soda water, will reflect a "different" color - from anything else in the woods (in the beam of a good flashlight). No they don't glow like a neon light, lol. smile

#18643 - 07/28/06 03:26 PM Re: Treating snares
Dktfireman Offline
Member+

Loc: New Hampshire
Well Newt, what is the last step in your process for dipping snares? smile
Thanks,
Dan

#18644 - 07/28/06 10:44 PM Re: Treating snares
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
Quote:
Have you guys ever checked a snare line in the dark? with a good light you can see 5/64 wire 40 yards. they almost glow. not sure if my snares will glow after dunking in Newt's stuff, or not?
RedSnow, I've Never seen a coyote packin' a flashlight. confused

I check plenty of line after sundown and yeah, my snares may reflect light slightly, but so does the frost and snow. What I do know is this, I have a heck of a time spotting my snares once they sit on the line for a while and if not for my notes, I doubt I could find all my snares come spring. Judging by the number of critters that get tangled up every year in my snares, I'm guessing they don't see grey cable much better than me.

I don't have a problem with avoidance,(Snow is a pretty good indicator) so why would I want to waste my time dipping a "one time use" chunk of cable.

RO smile

#18645 - 07/29/06 02:06 AM Re: Treating snares
redsnow Online   content

RO, one thing that i'm getting at is: bobcat. They say a cat can see what we see. Colors. I've had cats dodge my snares (I agree tracks in the snow don't lie). Who knows what a cat sees in it's "night vision" goggles? Or a fox or yote? And 90% of the critters we catch are caught during dark. Wish I could see through a cat's eyes for an hour. Just something to think about. smile

#18646 - 07/29/06 02:08 AM Re: Treating snares
Buzzard.. Offline

Last I heard .......purty much all critters were color blind w/ the exception of birds.

I may be wrong and someone correct me if so.........

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.