Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Trap Care and Preparation Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#18647 - 07/29/06 09:57 AM Re: Treating snares
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Seeing like a cat is not all what it is cracked up to be.

"to a dog or cat greens are almost indistinguishable from white(a shade of grey)"

"visual acuity of a cat is 20% of humans"

"if normal human vision is 20/20 a cats is 20/100"

on the plus side

"cats can detect light 6 times dimmer than humans"

And can detect motion as well as us

(taken from animaleyecare.com)

I'll keep my eyes such as they are thank you,living in a world of fuzzy pastels and not being able to find things I drop is not appealing.It always intrigues me when people assume animals have a superior sensory package.We have survived as a species for a few million years now without fangs ,claws or exceptional strength. There are reasons.

Back to snares I dipped some for a while but stopped as I did not see any difference.I now boil in bakeing soda, to clean off the residue from my workbench (which could be just about anything)
I would set a shiney snare and expect it to work but if I set a dull snare I would know it would work.Look at the eye sight figues for dogs and cats.Cats are very far sighted ,dogs aren't much better).Visual acuity (the ability to see seperate objects) of cats is only 20% of what we experience in dogs it is about 40%.By the time they get to a point where the could detect a snare it is a very fuzzy world.THis should give everone something to ponder

#18648 - 07/29/06 11:16 AM Re: Treating snares
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Ric, just another comment about a cat's vision: please. Not sure if you've ever used a "laser-pointer", the kind that projects a red beam. The same type laser that teachers/office managers use in meetings. Or, you'd mount on a handgun/rifle. They will drive a house-cat crazy. I've seen this first-hand. Cats will chase the dot. And, you can't get a dog to notice the beam. I just searched "laser pointer cat", came up with 30 items on Ebay. Cats see/percieve red. Does a snare look red to a cat? Wish I could answer that question. smile

#18649 - 07/29/06 04:13 PM Re: Treating snares
Newt Offline

Loc: Port Republic,South Jersey & C...
Dktfireman,I dip my snares just as they come off the workbench.
1- Hang a line up .Like a clothes line.
2-Close the loop on the snares.Hang the snares on the clothes line by the closed loop.
3- Gather up about 6 snares. Dip, than rehang them.Making sure they dont touch each other.
4- After they dry. Dip them again.If your do'n 3 dozen or more ,you should be able to just go and start over.The first ones will be dry enough to recoat.
5-Give'm a day to get good'n hard .Then do what ever you do with your snares.I S-Hook'm up to a 6'extension cable. Coil'm up and put them in a 10"x12"x24"tool box,the yellow and black ones you get at Home Depo.The tool box with the snares are now ready to go in the boat,canoe or truck.

#18650 - 07/29/06 08:20 PM Re: Treating snares
ThumbStateTrapper Offline

Loc: Michigan's Thumb
When you guys talk about "dipping" are you talking about dying them? With what? Logwood crystals, liquid dyes, speed dip, or walnut hulls? What are your preferences? I boiled in baking soda when I first bought them then let them hang. Before season the washers were all rusted. Probably a good reason for zero snare catches. Did I do something wrong.

#18651 - 07/30/06 09:09 AM Re: Treating snares
Newt Offline

I was talk'n about FORMULA ONE
For years I boiled my snares.What I have found out about boiling and vinger treatment is--
1- It dulls the shine.By oxdizing the galvanizing
2- That kills some of the galvanizing. So they rust up faster.
3- It makes the cable ruffer. That slows down the snare.

Altho this may not effect the adverage trapper. But to a professiional trapper. The bottom line is the pay check.

#18652 - 07/30/06 01:51 PM Re: Treating snares
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Not exactly, but youíre close.

The idea behind galvanizing anything steel is to protect it from rust. Thatís the purpose of galvanize. Part of how this prevents rust it that the galvanize coating (zinc) does oxidize slightly, but in doing so it forms a protective water-tight surface. No water -- no rust.

Everyone knows that if you just let the snares hang in the air for a while, they coating will turn gray of itís own natural accord. Boiling the snares in a mild basic solution, like a mild solution of baking soda, just hastens the natural process.

By the same token, as I described in a post above, too strong of a basic solution with actually attack the galvanize and eat it away. You should never boil snares in something like a lye solution.

Acids are another matter all together. They react more quickly with zinc than do bases. A very easy way to remove galvanize coating from chain and other things you might want to rust is to dip them into muratic acid. (Outdoors only!!!) The zinc will be gone in a matter of a few seconds, and your steel will be rusty tomorrow.

Vinegar is a very weak acid, thatís the reason most folks donít get themselves in too much trouble using it. But personally, I would never recommend that anyone dunk or soak their snares in vinegar. Baking soda is cheap, and it doesnít cost all that much to boil some water.

As for the cable being rougher, thatís certainly a valid observation. But Iím not sure thatís a significant impact on the performance of the device. Look above where Buzzard said he didnít even care if the locks were rusty. smile

smile -- Hal

#18653 - 07/30/06 03:55 PM Re: Treating snares
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Oops. I skipped right over Thumbís post.

ďBefore season the washers were all rusted. Probably a good reason for zero snare catches.

If the washers were not galvanized, you could expect them to rust if they hung out in the weather. As far as that being the cause for no catch, note what Buzzard said above: ďrusty locks have never caused me a problem.........Ē

Donít get dye and dip confused. Your logwood and walnut hulls are dye. They are meant to give rusty steel a black color. They have no perceptive effect on galvanized snare cable, so donít waste your time.

Weíre talking about dip here, and in fact we are talking about a specific kind of dip. Formula 1 is a water based dip. It dries to a hard coating. And be reminded that this is done primarily to camouflage the snare. Except in extreme conditions (salt water) galvanized cable needs little further protection. By judiciously using your older snares first, the snare should make a catch long before it rusts up.

But reviewing the title of this thread, we do need to talk about petroleum based dips as well. Frankly, I myself could not envision using the same lantern fuel and dip mixture on snares that I use on bodygrip traps. Even when this stuff is dry it has a rubbery texture. I canít imagine having snare cables and locks coated with that. Also I would be somewhat concerned that this stuff would rub off on a snared animal.

So my question now becomes, are there any experienced snare users out there who successfully use (or have tried to use) petroleum based dips on their snares?

quest -- Hal

#18654 - 07/30/06 05:44 PM Re: Treating snares
Newt Offline

Hal, I have rever tryed it. (petroleum bace dip)
For the same reason that you stated.

#18655 - 07/30/06 07:11 PM Re: Treating snares
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
I have used and still use petroleum based dips.

My snare pile is a real mix. Some are not treated, others are F-1, some are baking soda, others are boiled over the camp fire with fir branches, etc..

This year I dipped a bunch of old snares. The reason? My "tie wire" was starting to rust. In other words, the snare wasn't the reason I dipped. But since both are joined together it was the fastest way of doing it.

I have seen no difference in catch results depending on the method/non-method of treating them.

I do not like rusty locks.I'm always afraid they will stain the fur.

Before I set any snare I open and close it a few times to smooth everything out.

#25384 - 10/17/17 12:28 PM Re: Treating snares [Re: Buzzard..]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.