Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Trap Care and Preparation Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#18682 - 09/12/05 01:48 PM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
Cannon Ball Offline

Loc: Washington NC
I am familiar with powder coatings on marine hardware such as t-tops and rod holders etc, but I have never seen the process actually being done. Who or rather what type of buisness has the equipment to powder coat ?

Gary do you have any experience with the type of coatings used for spray in bed liners for pick up trucks ?

#18683 - 09/12/05 06:16 PM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
The Beav Offline

Loc: Oregon WI
We have a co In town and that's all they do Is powder coat.I would bet you could powder just about anything.
I never dealt with any type of spray on bed liner coatings. But they seem a bit to thick and most of them have some type of abrasive material In them. But you never know, Take a trap down to one of those places and have them give It a shot.Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Beav

#18684 - 09/13/05 09:15 AM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
jwr Offline

Loc: ark
Gary powder coat is very hard. What about the pan and dog. When you had your coated did you have them ready for the line? Night latch, short notch, however you do yours and if so were they still ready for the line when you finished? I can powder coat my own stuff just trying to save some of the trial and error. The good thing about powder is they dont have to rust first for it to stick.
thanks

#18685 - 09/13/05 03:52 PM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
traprjo Offline

Loc: larksville,pa.
i am not familiar with powder coating at all what kind of business would powder coat machine shop,welding shop? where in the phone book would you look for powder coatingh thanks traprjo

they aint all locked up!

#18686 - 09/13/05 04:09 PM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
The Beav Offline

JWR
I had to remove the coating In the pan notch and on the dog end.A few swips with a file and It was done.No matter what type of coating you apply to your traps you have to do those steps.

Traprjo
I looked In our yellow pages under coatings and found 3 listings for protective powder coatings.
Mostly It's used on after market stuff.

The coating dosen't lock up any part of the trap. I didn't even have to put anything between the jaws. And the tension bolt and nut could be tightened and loosened with no problem.
If you go this route do one to see how you like It because there is no way your removing It afterwards.

Beav

#18687 - 09/13/05 04:44 PM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
Paul Burkhardt Offline

Loc: Maryland
I have had a lot of experience with powder coatings. They are extremely hard and will crack sometimes. A scratch in the coating to the metal will cause it to rust. The rust will migrate out from the scratch under the coating. Some trapline anti freezes will definitly enhance this. If the pretreatment of the metal is not done corectly it will also crack and lose adhesion. I ran test on steel panels in a salt spray booth for a business I worked for. There is not dout that it is one of the best coating but as stated is very expensive. If the pretreatment of the metal is not done corectly it will also crack and lose adhesion.

#18688 - 09/13/05 05:47 PM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
The Beav Offline

Paul what's your take on loseing spring strength on body grips.I had mine set when they did them and I lost some of the spring strength but they still will kill coon. If I had left them un set would I have been better off?
Mine must have been done right since I have never had any cracking and only a few bad scratches with only minimal rusting In those places.
I got my coils done for $1.00 apiece 160s cost me $3.00 dam good price I assume.

Beav

#18689 - 09/13/05 09:24 PM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
I assume the baking part of powder coating is very controlled, but could there still be enough heat to affect spring steel? When you boil a trap, it only reaches 100'C (220'F ?) and water insures even heat on the metal surface. I'm just curious as I have no metalurgy expertise.

RO smile

#18690 - 09/13/05 09:31 PM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
jwr Offline

Loc: ark
Different types have different curing temps. The powder I use cures at 350 degrees f for 20 minutes.

#18691 - 09/14/05 07:14 AM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
That temperature could be high enough to effect spring temper.

smile -- Hal

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.