Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Trap Care and Preparation Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#18712 - 09/22/05 12:57 PM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
Freddybaer Offline

Loc: Marion Ohio
I have been following this thread for a while. I have specified powder coating processes in my job. What type of powder material are guys using to powder coat traps? Ask the supplier of the material or get an MSDS sheet on the material
All standard powder coats are a form of plastic powder mixtures. This can be thermoset or thermoplastic. The type of material you use will determine its, durability, scratch resistance,chemical resistance,adhesion,weatherability,and water absorption(scent absorption).For instance Nylon (a thermoplastic) has good durability ,scratch resistance but it absorbs water and scents easily. This is one of the most common powder coats normal baking time is 15 to 25 minutes at 200 to 250 F.Probably the best aplication of powder coat for chemical,water absorbsion,and weatherability would be epoxy(a thermoset). The big drawback is curing tempertures are from 350 to 500 F. And the answer to the next question is yes it will effect the temper in the type of spring steel used in trap springs depending on the time it takes the specific epoxy powder mixture to cure. I think it is a very interesting idea but its needs some more thought.

#18713 - 09/22/05 02:41 PM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
jwr Offline

Loc: ark
Now were getting somewhere. All i know about powder coating is what i have learned using it. I didnt realize there were different types. Here's a chart on what I use.

Pretreatment Iron phosphate, zinc phosphate Advantages Excellent chemical resistance
Application Conditions Electrostatic powder spray, fluidized bed Gives low gloss, matte finishes
Film Thickness 1.2 - 100+ mils Smooth coatings
Specific Gravity 1.2 - 1.8 Good corrosion resistance
Coverage 107.0-160.0 sq.ft./lb. per mil of coating Good mechanical properties
Baking Schedules 5 minutes at 399? F F-5H pencil hardness
(Standard Cure / 10 minutes at 375? F Excellent adhesion to substrate
Metal Temperature) 15 minutes at 320? F Excellent electrical properties
Very good abrasion resistance

Hope this helps

#18714 - 09/22/05 07:03 PM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
johnson Offline

Loc: rhode island
Coyotes will leave a few deep scratches through the powder coating and the wax just seals those flaws and keeps them from rusting.

you wax for that reason only?
does wax act as a lubricant when the trap fires?
and sent control as well?

if the yotes did not scratch the finish
would you not use any wax at all

#18715 - 09/23/05 12:21 PM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
Freddybaer Offline

Jwr, It appears you are working with a epoxy or a polyester Material, it might even be a hybrid or combination of the two. These are good materials for durability,and rust prevension.The drawback to these materials is that they are not very flexible and will have a tendacy to chip or crack if surface preparation is suspect. I cannot tell from the info you provided what kind of filler or extenders they might be using and what percentages they are using . Common fillers for this material are wood flour,cellulose,flock and sometimes walnut flour. The effect of these additives will depend on the amount and fiber size.
Ok now that we have gone through all that what does it mean about the material choice. I think it will be a matter of experience and opinion. It appears you have had some success with this. I would continue to evaluate and do some more investigation into actual material content of the powdercoat. In theory some of the aditives noted may pick up smells more than others. The heating of the spring steel to this temperture is a problem. Depending on the spring design and material it could reduce the life of the spring a little. Hope this helps a little

#18716 - 10/03/05 07:38 AM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
jwr Offline

Loc: ark
I need to get a dig. cam. I have caught 2 fox, 1 yote,and a otter in a 1.65. The powder on the chain is gone (galvanized chain) but just a few minor scratches on the trap. Could the galvanize keep the powder from sticking to the chain?

Does anyone know a way good way to release a otter eek

#18717 - 10/03/05 12:13 PM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
Freddybaer Offline

It probably would be better if the chain was a clean steel surface. However I think you will have problems with the chain whether it was galvanized or not. The best thing to do is give it a try and see what happens. Canít help you with the otter question I live in Ohio and the first season is this year. Good Luck

#21147 - 12/12/14 10:33 AM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating? [Re: Mac]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.