Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Trap Care and Preparation Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#18672 - 09/11/05 12:15 PM Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
Mac Offline

Loc: Maine
I have used the traditional method of dye and wax for over 30 years. Recently used fuel based cold dip. It worked fine but did not hold up well.
I am looking for opinions on using Formula One for canine traps. Experinces, likes, dislikes, comments, and reasons for liking or not.
Thanks

mac

(Edit: I've edited the title of this topic to reflect the direction it has taken. -- Hal)

#18673 - 09/11/05 02:03 PM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
The Beav Offline

Loc: Oregon WI
I have used about every known method of trap protection. I allways went back to wax on my canine traps.

Formula 1 works well as a coating.But If you have any rust on your traps before you use It your traps will continue to rust under the coating.Does this happen with other coatings? I don't know since you can't see what's happening under the other coatings,but you can see It under F1. Does It matter I don't know.
All coatings wear off In a very short time.Repeated catches and your coating Is gone. So this Is how I rate the coatings that are on the market.

F1=
a little to costly for my use.
Easy to apply, dries quickly, holds up as well as any coating. Drying time related to tempature not critical.
I feel It can probably be used safely for any application.Land traps or water traps.

Gas dips=
To costly,poor drying time.Can't re dip during the season, drying time related to tempature very critical.
Holds up as well as any coating.
I would never use It for canine sets,but It would probably be safe for any other application.

Wax=
Fairly cheap.Easy to apply,dries fast.Drying time Is not critical to tempature, so you can re wax during the season.
Holds up as well as any coating.

Dye=
It's cheap and Is easy to apply.
In my opinion has no value as a protective coating. Dyed traps will rust just hanging on the walls. Dye has a very strong odor.Do I want to add that to my wax bucket?
In most cases dye Is the inatial coating and then wax Is placed over It.It makes your traps look good but has no value as a protective coating on It's own.

Paint=
We have two types of paint ones that you cut or thin with water and those we thin or cut with mineral spirts. I guess we can call these types lead based type paints.

Lead based type paint.

Needs to be cut with mineral spirts or something of that nature. Mid range In cost.Easy to apply, and drying time Is not critical to tempature.
Can be cut and your traps can be dipped or you can buy spray type cans, the spray system can get a bit costly If you have many traps and you have so much wast with over spray,and It can be very time consuming. With any type paint you will have to stir and mix If you use the dipping method since paint and your thinner like to separate.
Covers well and holds up as well as any coating.
In my opinion the jury Is still out on odor retention on traps used for canine trapping. I would assume that a period of airing out would be In order.

Latex or water based type paint=

Cheap easy to apply drying time not critical to tempature. Cut or thin with water.
It holds up as well as any coating.
I don't belive It has the strong odor of lead based paints so I don't think It will need as much airing out time. I have used latex type paints for my canine traps and saw no refusals or dug out traps. But I'm not ready to commit all my traps to this coating system. On water traps and body grip type traps there Is no need to air out your traps. And that applies to any coating you use.

Powder coating=
Coating Is applied In a dust like substace and adhears through a negitive and positive electrical prossces. And is then baked on at tempaturs of around 400 deggres.
Very costly.
I have about 8 doz 160s done this way.Nothing will ever have to be done to these traps ever again. But If you do this make sure your traps are In the sprung postion before powder coating.You can get some spring strength lose if they are left In the set postion.I know.
Coil spring traps show no lose of spring strength after powder coating.
Coyotes can and will leave scrathes In the coating but It's not a big deal. I just wax over the powder coating each year on my foot hold traps.

The bottom line Is try out differnt coatings and see what works for you In your situation.

Beav

#18674 - 09/11/05 04:03 PM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
Mac Offline

Loc: Maine
Now that is what I call a thorough answer! LOL
Thanks Beav. I appreciate you taking time to answer and describe all of your experinces. The young trappers today have no concept of the differences of today and a few years ago. Lots of intelligent guys that are willing to share knowledge.

Thanks

mac

#18675 - 09/11/05 11:49 PM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Gary: You don't mean "lead" based type paints. You mean "oil" based type paints. There ain't been no lead paint for 25 years now.

smile -- Hal

#18676 - 09/12/05 02:09 AM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
jwr Offline

Loc: ark
Gary this is probally a dumb ? but why do you wax a trap that has been powder coated? possible scent or extra protection?

#18677 - 09/12/05 02:32 AM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
The Beav Offline

No dumb questions

Coyotes will leave a few deep scratches through the powder coating and the wax just seals those flaws and keeps them from rusting.
I just power wash them before waxing.

Beav

#18678 - 09/12/05 02:35 AM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
Hal Online   content

Now I'm confused.

You're waxing #160's?

confused -- Hal

#18679 - 09/12/05 12:41 PM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
The Beav Offline

Yes Hal your confused.
And I bet you don't read sign very well either LOL.

Coil spring traps show no lose of spring strength after powder coating.
Coyotes can and will leave scrathes In the coating but It's not a big deal. I just wax over the powder coating each year on my foot hold traps.

Beav

#18680 - 09/12/05 01:00 PM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
Hal Online   content

Now I see. You do have traps, other than #160's that have been powder coated. But, you do wax these traps as an extra preventative measure.

smile -- Hal

#18681 - 09/12/05 01:39 PM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
The Beav Offline

Only If the powder coating has had enough damage where i feel that they will rust.
Poder coating dosen't wear off and you can't remove it but It does scratch up some.Most of the scratches are on the surface and don't get down to the metal so those don't get any other protection.
These traps (#2 Bridgers)have seen hard use for over 6 years and they still show very little wear.But as you know some coyotes will work a trap pretty hard while others will never chew on them. I'm told I can buy the powder and mix It with some chemical and fix the bad spots but haven't tried It yet.

Beav

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.