Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Trap Care and Preparation Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#18702 - 09/15/05 10:38 PM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
jwr Offline

Loc: ark
Well yeah thats what I use. I like it. Never could tell any difference in catch ratio between f1 and dye and wax. After a couple catches traps need to be redipped but I can dip today and set tomorrow. Its probally the fastest and easiest "treatment" of all. Sure beats heating water to dye or letting it hang for a week or more to lose the smell of gas.

#18703 - 09/15/05 10:45 PM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Gary, you've got a point. If that trap would last for ten years without needing to be treated again, then $2 or $3 for this permanent coating would not be unreasonable. That boils down to 20 or 30 cents a year. It's still more expensive than wax/dip, but the you save eliminating that step every year ought to be worth 20 or 30 cents.

Ed (Paws-i-Trip) Medvetz was talking about this for foothold traps and he's the one quoted at $18.00 per dozen. Except… I don't think I'd invest that in foothold traps. They just take too much abuse. Gary says he waxes over them, so that's not a time savings. I could, however, see this as a bodygrip treatment.

As Gary mentioned problems with having them done with the springs compressed, and noticing loss of strength, has anybody done this to a bodygrip with the springs in the "unset" position?

smile -- Hal

#18704 - 09/15/05 10:48 PM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
Hal Online   content

JWR: If you have some experience in this powder coating -- help us out. What would you have to go through to do this? How would you have to clean the traps? How about rust? Would the traps have to be brand new?

confused -- Hal

#18705 - 09/15/05 10:56 PM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
The Beav Offline

Loc: Oregon WI
My body grip traps show no wear after all these years, not even where the spring eyes ride up and down on the jaws.

Beav

#18706 - 09/16/05 01:57 AM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
jwr Offline

Hal they would almost have to be new. I have tried a couple car frames that were sandblasted down to the metal and it does a good job but if you miss one little spot the powder will flake off when cured. If rust forms under the powder after cured it can and will flake off. Im going to try some coils tomorrow without the springs. I change springs everyyear anyway.

#18707 - 09/17/05 03:38 AM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
jwr Offline

I powder coated a trap on the 14th. Set it on the 15th. Caught a redfox today. No damage to the powdercoat that I could see held up nice.

#18708 - 09/17/05 03:37 PM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
mountainman33 Offline

Loc: Central Maine
Kinda off the topic, but JWR I have to ask ya if your season is open yet and if it is, what is the fur condition of that fox? I can't imagine red fox have primed up much yet. confused
Back to the topic.....glad the powder coating held up for you. I'm liking the sounds of this stuff the more I hear about it.

...MM... smile

#18709 - 09/18/05 12:44 AM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
jwr Offline

Our coyote season is in. Live market is all that their any good for here. I let the fox go, I beleive she had some pups somewhere. Looked like they had been sucking.

#18710 - 09/20/05 09:53 PM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
jwr Offline

I have learned a little more this week. If powder coating coil springs, remove the spring from the lever. I had a couple that the powder did not get between the spring and the lever. Oh yeah ----1 pound will coat 14, 1.65 bridger modified. Going to use these for dryland otter so they should get a real test as to how well the powder will hold up.

#18711 - 09/21/05 03:38 PM Re: Trap treatment -- Powder Coating?
Hal Online   content

In his experiments, Medvetz determined the absolute best way to do this was to completely dismantle the trap.

smile -- Hal

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.