Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Trap Care and Preparation Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#18820 - 10/10/05 06:50 PM how do you rust traps??
SilverFox92O Offline

Loc: Paul Smith's College
i just bought some 160's to do some fisher and martin trapping with and the season starts next week! ! ! ! ! ! now my question is what is a good way to rust traps without having to go out and buy some sort of acid solution. ive boiled them in salt water for awile before but i dont think that will work fast enough. . . . i just didnt know if maybe there was some sort of acidic thing i can find either out in the woods or layin around the house because id like to go home this weekend and dye them up!

Thanks for any help,
Nick

#18821 - 10/10/05 08:01 PM Re: how do you rust traps??
Clarence Offline

Loc: Hyde Park, New York
just drop them outside in the weather for the rest of the week. they should be fine. I got some new 220 that I let is outside for two weeks and they are pretty rust coated and ready to dye.

so if you want to dye this weekend they should be ready if you can let them sit out side. without them getting messed with at school. not that there aren't a millon places to hide them there.

hope it works out for yeah.

#18822 - 10/10/05 08:31 PM Re: how do you rust traps??
soceye Offline

Loc: Fruitland,Utah
I don't know if this would be a recomenned by others on here,but I wanted mine rusted quickly and put them in water with a little table salt mixed in for a couple days. Then took them out and left them hang for 3 days. After that I rinsed them, boiled 'em,and waxed 'em. The three that I've set have caught two foxes in four days.

#18823 - 10/11/05 03:20 AM Re: how do you rust traps??
Trapper-Randy Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
If you are going to use a cold dip they do not need to be rusted. If you want them rusted just make sure there is no oil or grease on them and they should rust in 2or3 days.

T-R

#18824 - 10/11/05 07:36 AM Re: how do you rust traps??
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Using salt to rust traps is a bad idea. Just boil them clean and let them stay outdoors for a while.

frown -- Hal

#18825 - 10/11/05 08:50 AM Re: how do you rust traps??
The Beav Offline

Loc: Oregon WI
If you ant to get your traps ready for the season just go buy a spray can of grey or primer red Rustoelum and spray your traps and you will be done In a few hours and your traps will have more protection then dye will give them.

Beav

#18826 - 10/11/05 09:35 AM Re: how do you rust traps??
Mallard Offline

Loc: Traverse City,Mi,USA
Boil in sani-flush solution (add sani to cold water....not hot) for 15 minutes, overflow the pot so the grease skim flows off, rinse the traps well, and hang. They will be evenly coated with rust within a day, ready to go.

#21149 - 12/12/14 10:34 AM Re: how do you rust traps?? [Re: SilverFox92O]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.