Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Trap Care and Preparation Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#18925 - 03/07/09 08:11 PM To rust or not to rust
GeneHoweGuy Offline

Loc: Texas
Gonna try a petroleum dip for the first time on my traps. Do I rust them beforehand in the normal manner or just dip 'em grease and all?

THX

GHG

#18926 - 03/07/09 08:37 PM Re: To rust or not to rust
haf2sell Offline

Loc: SW Michigan
In my experience, clean steel works better. Rusting is a personal option that allows some "damage" to begin prior to the stain/dye process.

Regards,

#18927 - 03/08/09 12:06 AM Re: To rust or not to rust
CoonCaller Offline

Loc: Formerly NY, now TN
I clean the grease/ oil off of new traps then dip them I don't worry about rusting. If using traps that were already dipped or waxed from last year just remove the coating and dip.

#18928 - 03/08/09 11:28 PM Re: To rust or not to rust
GeneHoweGuy Offline

Would there be any adverse affects if I were to dip the traps without de-greasing? I would figure that the petroleum (coleman fuel) would disolve the grease while the trap is being dipped.
Yes/ No?
I'm not trying to be lazy here just seeing what I can cut out of the process in order to streamline the operation.

THX again

GHG

#18929 - 03/09/09 12:09 AM Re: To rust or not to rust
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I've dipped traps with the factory oils on them. And you can get away with that. However, I think the dip sticks better if you clean the traps first.

Hal

#18930 - 03/09/09 02:54 AM Re: To rust or not to rust
GeneHoweGuy Offline

Thanks for the input from both the de-grease and non de-greasing side.
I'll try the expedited way first and if I don't like the results, I'll just do it again after having taken off the grease first.

GHG

#18931 - 03/09/09 03:34 AM Re: To rust or not to rust
Otterwater0566 Offline

Loc: Austin, AR
My experiences say 60/40 vinegar and water to soak traps in a bucket for a few days. The rust will form under the packing oil. Then it's off to the car wash to "clean" the traps. The speed dip will last longer due to a reaction between a clean rusty trap and the metal primers in speed dips type solutions. It can be down both ways as the dip is usually cut w/gas etc. Take the time to clean and rust your traps. You will be happier and it's very little work compared to trapping w/"sticky traps". Just my way..any ?'s reply.

#18932 - 03/09/09 02:17 PM Re: To rust or not to rust
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
To the best of my knowledge, there are no "metal primers" in dip, nor do they react with iron oxide. Dip is simply a surface sealer, similar to paint. Excepting that dip hardens through evaporation where paint hardens through a chemical reaction.

And, to the best of my knowledge, cleaning the traps or rusting them will have no effect on whether or not your finished traps are sticky. These are dilution and solvent problems. I use lantern fuel (naphtha, white gas) diluted to the manufacturer's recommendation. Using less solvent is not better.

That said, rust will give "tooth" to the surface of the metal, and the dip will form a better physical bond. But, I haven't purposefully rusted any traps that I intended to dip in over 20 years. The dip has pretty good adhesion as is. But as previously mentioned, I did decide it was better to clean the factory oils off them.

Hal

#18933 - 03/10/09 03:16 AM Re: To rust or not to rust
GeneHoweGuy Offline

Thanks Gents for all of the good info. Ya'll have really helped out a guy whose only history with trapping has been the big stuff (black bears and boar with culvert traps and Aldrich snares {ADC and biological only}).

GHG

#18934 - 03/14/09 10:53 PM Re: To rust or not to rust
tommypaul Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I have always cleaned new traps by boiling in soapy water. My older traps, having at least some rust, again after cleaning, take dip more consistently and evenly than newer traps. They rust eventually with use so I don't see a need to pre-rust them despite the better adherence of dip with at least minimal rust.
tp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.