Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#1896 - 09/17/14 07:55 PM Preserving cubed venison for bait & what quanity to prepare
Richard2 Offline

Loc: TN
I am in the process of making cubed venison for bait and my time to do this is limited. I have four days now and 12 days in November to get it done before my season starts in late January.
I have mixed 1 1/2 cups of sodium benzoate with one gallon of cubed fresh(frozen & thawed) venison, if it does not stop gasing before I have to leave, can I freeze it in freezer bags(which I assume will stop the gasing), thaw it in November and will it continue the process? Or will it continue to work on the meat while frozen for an extended period?
With the bait that I am tainting now- I will have to freeze it. Should I add the sodium benzoate before I freeze it or wait and thaw and then add the sodium benzoate? I don't know the properties of sodium bensoate under freezing conditions but I do know that sliced/seasoned jerky meat fully seasons while frozen awaiting drying & that rigormortis does reverse under frozen conditions, both of which takes a lot longer than under refridgerator(34 - 36 degrees) conditions. So, given an extended period of time while frozen, will sodium benzoate preseve meat while frozen?
If I make to much bait and properly preseve it will it be fine for next year? Or is it pretty much like anything canned,fine forever unless the lid pops? I'm putting up the bait in quart canning jars.
Sorry to be so long winded. If no one has had experience with this maybe we'll learn something since I've no choice but to try it.
Thanks, Richard

#1897 - 10/08/14 02:17 PM Re: Preserving cubed venison for bait & what quanity to prepare
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I'm sorry nobody answered this. Short course: Chunk or grid your meat. Taint it. Ad the preservative. At that point, your bait will keep without freezing. However do not cap it up tightly until the gasses stop coming off of it.

There is no need to freeze preserved bait. It should last for years.

Hal

#1898 - 10/10/14 07:08 PM Re: Preserving cubed venison for bait & what quanity to prepare
Richard2 Offline

Loc: TN
Thanks Hal,
My problem was that I did not have the time at home to be sure the gassing stopped before I sealed the jars and I could imagine what my basement would look and smell like if the jars cracked due to pressure and I was scared to leave the lids loose for all the time I would be gone ( 8 weeks). I added the sodium benzoate and placed the meat in oversized freezer bags and froze. Could you advise me on how I might check the bait to see if it did preserve while in the freezer? I'm thinking unthaw a small portion and see if it spoils at room tempature after a few days and if it does not to unthaw the rest and place in jars and check for gassing before sealing the jars tight. Does that sound reasonable? Thanks, Richard

#1899 - 10/11/14 08:53 AM Re: Preserving cubed venison for bait & what quanity to prepare
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Just thaw it out and finish it. -- Hal

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.