Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Photo

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#19000 - 08/24/13 11:20 AM The "Old Shack" project.
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
smile

Here's a picture of the old house I've been remodeling. My Mom refers to it as the "Old Shack".

This picture was taken 1/27/11. It's underwent quite a bit of change since.

A family by the name of King owned the house and property. Dad bought the place back in 1972, I believe? Everyone around here calls the place King's Ranch. And it's not really that big, we pay taxes on 70 acres.

It's been a challenge! But I've had some very good help, and I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel!

I took my Mom up a couple weeks ago, gave her a tour. Mom's homeplace is just across the river and up on the mountain to the West. Mom told me that her homeplace was built in 1910, and that the King's place was built before that.

The house is about 900 yards from the county road. Boys it's peaceful up there!

Every now and then a couple fighter jets will come screaming down the valley, otherwise, it's very quiet. smile

I'll post more pictures if photobucket cooperates.

The house has a history. Some folks say that it's haunted.

I told Mom the other morning that I'd spent the night at King's, she asked if I'd seen any spooks. laugh I sleep very very well in the old place. smile

#19001 - 08/24/13 11:46 AM Re: The "Old Shack" project.
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Pretty big to be a shack!

Nice spot. smile

#19002 - 08/24/13 01:50 PM Re: The "Old Shack" project.
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Yeah, that'w way more than a shack. Is the house two full stories, or a story an a half?

Hal

#19003 - 08/24/13 03:49 PM Re: The "Old Shack" project.
redsnow Online   content

Yes, but the ceilings are low. In the one little bedroom I can bump my elbows on the ceiling. Not much head room in the attic either!

The house was built, (as well as I can tell) in 3 sections. The original part is log, and part of it is framed. The walls in the log section are 10 inches thick or better.

You can see that the house is built in the shape of an "L". Looking at it from the crawl space. So, I call the "front room" 1-A, 1-B, 1-C. Upstairs is 2-A, etc.

But, I'll try to give you a tour. smile

When you first walk in room 1-A, this is what you'll see.

The fireplace is one of a kind.

Up the stairs. They're steep/dangerous, we sanded, stained, varnished them. And put up a handrail.

Room 2-A.

I'll try that many pictures, and add more later. smile

#19004 - 08/24/13 04:15 PM Re: The "Old Shack" project.
redsnow Online   content

Room 2-B.

Room 2-C.

Check out that old bed-spread. It was just about 10 seconds away from being tossed in the trash! Someone spent a lot of time putting all of those little knots in that thing.

And here's part of the kitchen, room 1-C.

I'll bet that a lot of you guys remember sitting on a bench at the kitchen table. We just built that one a week or so ago. And just got another kitchen chair "wickey-whacked", think it was Wednesday.

Everything is plain and simple, nothing fancy. It's an old house, and nothing is square, but it turned out pretty nice.

A friend of mine has some crop-damage permits for deer now. We're going to have a little feed, in a week or 2. smile

#19005 - 08/24/13 04:43 PM Re: The "Old Shack" project.
redsnow Online   content

Here's the backside of the house. The bathrooms have low ceilings too. But really to keep them on the same floor level, and still have enough roof pitch, didn't have much choice.

But driving up the road, this is the first thing you'll see.

smile

#19006 - 08/24/13 10:21 PM Re: The "Old Shack" project.
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Wow. Just wow.

Very well done, Sir.

#19007 - 08/25/13 02:17 PM Re: The "Old Shack" project.
sbausum Offline

Loc: Stoutsville, Ohio
Yeah, what musher said! That is a neat "shack". What a bunch of work. I love the simple furnishings. Nice to see old places saved and put back to service. What a simple and peaceful looking house. Reminds me of my Great Grandma's house. Great job!

#19008 - 08/25/13 02:25 PM Re: The "Old Shack" project.
Hal Online   content

The picutures of the upstairs bedroom answered my question. It a story and a half. A lot of houses were built like that back then.

You've done an exceptonal job.

Hal

#19009 - 08/25/13 02:27 PM Re: The "Old Shack" project.
Hal Online   content

That little porch on the back, does that cover the entrance to a cellar? -- Hal

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.