Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Photo

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#19134 - 10/21/12 11:17 AM Flintlock turkey
Stone Knife Offline

Loc: new york
Shot a nice Jake today with my .62 cal. flintlock Fowler.

#19135 - 10/21/12 11:47 AM Re: Flintlock turkey
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
Congrats. How well did that work out? As well as with a modern shotgun?

Nice variation in colours in your photo. Leaves are almost all down here.

#19136 - 10/21/12 12:11 PM Re: Flintlock turkey
Stone Knife Offline

Need him closer than with my modern gun, but this is a lot more fun for sure. We still have a lot of leaves left on.

#19137 - 10/22/12 08:27 AM Re: Flintlock turkey
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
0.615" would make it a 20 gauge. I'm sure that would be a challenge. I've never hunted with a flintlock, did you build the gun?

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/scales/shotguns.html

A friend of mine deer hunts with his .54 caliber flintlock, if the weather is decent. He built his rifle, it was one of these "kit deals". It's a pretty gun, I've got pictures of it someplace. Six or eight months ago, he found a side-by-side 20ga flintlock, dirt cheap. It's nearly identical to his rifle, beautiful gun.

A while back, he invited me up to his range to shoot clay pigeons, I had to work and didn't get to go. But he was using his side-by-side 20 flintlock, forget, but he said he busted 3 or 4 consecutive birds. He's a very good wingshot! I'd rather shoot at crows, they are more fun. smile

#19138 - 10/22/12 04:13 PM Re: Flintlock turkey
Stone Knife Offline

redsnow, you are correct about it being a 20 ga. I did not build it I had it built by TVM Matt Avance is the builder. 25 paces is my max range at a turkey with this gun. I'm hoping to get a deer with it come gun season, the beauty of a smoothbore is you can shoot both shot and roundball.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.