Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#19763 - 01/27/14 10:56 AM Brain Games
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
I hate tests. They always verify that I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. But try this one out. Hang a scale, then hang another from the first one. Then hang a weight from the bottom, so that you have both scales doing the weighing at the same time. If you were to hang a 20# weight on this setup, would each scale register 20#s, or would they each read 10#s? Take your best educated guess, then try it out. I was wrong, as usual. smile

Frank.

#19764 - 01/27/14 03:19 PM Re: Brain Games
ron finewood Online   content

Loc: palmyra, new york
I don't have 2 scales, so I can't do an experiment, but I will bite. I am guessing that the top scales would read 20 Lbs, plus the weight of the lower scales. The lower scales would read 20 pounds. Assuming, of course, that the scales are accurate. OK--- how wrong am I??

Ron

#19765 - 01/28/14 07:47 PM Re: Brain Games
castiron Offline

Loc: North Carolina USA
Ron that was my thoughts also. The top scale would have to show the weight of the bottom scale plus the weight of the weight. The bottom scale would only show the weight of the weight.

#19766 - 01/29/14 09:10 AM Re: Brain Games

So now, hang both scales side by side, and suspend the weight from both scales at once. Again, does each scale register 20#s, or 10#s?? Think about it, then verify. I thought too long, now I have a headache.

Oww, Frank

#19767 - 01/29/14 01:15 PM Re: Brain Games
ron finewood Online   content

Loc: palmyra, new york
I would say, 20 Lbs. on each scale.

Ron

#19768 - 01/30/14 09:33 AM Re: Brain Games
castiron Offline

The total weight of the two scales will be 20 or so lbs.

#19769 - 01/31/14 12:08 PM Re: Brain Games
castiron Offline

And the answer is???????

#19770 - 02/01/14 03:15 PM Re: Brain Games

Well-----since no one else wants to 'weigh' in on this matter, here are my results. When one scale is hung from the other and the weight is hung on the bottom, each scale registers the imposed weight. However, when the scales are hung 'side by each', each scale registered half of the imposed weight. Each metal spring of the scales sharing the same load, yet a different reading on each set up!!? I tried to equate this to batteries that are either in parallel or series but could not get the connection, as it were. In my trade I dealt with shear, moments, and kips. But this has me stumped. Any 'scaleologists out there??

Oh my head, Frank.

#19771 - 02/01/14 03:32 PM Re: Brain Games
castiron Offline

When you hang a scale from a scale the top scale will weigh the bottom scale. If you hang a weight from the bottom scale it will weigh the weight. The top scale will weigh the weight and the weight of the bottom scale. If you hang the weight suspended from both scales hanging side by side you should get the weight of the weight by adding both scale readings together. I could easily see where you could hang the weight uneven and have one scale showing more than the other but total weight should be very close to the weight of the weight.

#19772 - 02/01/14 03:56 PM Re: Brain Games

Yes! This was the result of my experiment. But to me it still doesn't make sense physically, or should I say mechanically.

Frank.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.