Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#19836 - 06/11/13 12:11 AM mosquitos
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Just came back from two weeks of working on the cabin up in northern Wis. I'm staying in a pop-up camper on site while I continue work on the interior of the cabin. With all of the wet weather we've had here, the mosquito crop is absolutely astounding! I'm not a huge fan of dousing myself with repellent because the wash off required later is best done outside which is where them little suckers (literally) are. I have resorted to the clip-on fan circulated repellent contraption from 'Off', which works fairly well if you're sitting or standing still for a while. But you really can't step outside to do anything without doing some kind of ancient voodoo swat dance. (urinating becomes a real art form) I took a ride down a two track road just for a look see, and when I got back to camp I had to stay in my truck for ten minutes while the cloud of skeeters that came along dispersed. Has anyone else donated a pint unwillingly to them little suckers?

Frank confused

#19837 - 06/11/13 01:14 AM Re: mosquitos
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
I still vividly remember the VAST population of mosquito's when I worked in Alaska. That was 35 years ago and the memory hasn't faded yet

#19838 - 06/11/13 01:21 AM Re: mosquitos
littleguns Offline

Loc: Jay, Maine
Mosquitoes, an black flies, now the horse flies (copper heads) to some. I have donated to the cause. Even had a couple ticks but I got them first. I don't think anything works to deter them except sweet fern burning or made into a paste to smear on like paste. We get them so bad up here they have named things after them. A snowmobile trail called Black Fly Loop, and Mosquito Brook etc.
I could go on but whats the use. Complaining won't help so keep a lot of deet handy don't get it on your skin cause it can cause who knows what. It didn't kill me as a kid but now it is taboo. Like drinking from a water hose or riding a bike without a helmet and pant cuff guard.
O K really have a good summer. To those that don't know what a problem Mosquitoes can be I can help you cure your need to know. Just smiling. smile

#19839 - 06/11/13 03:03 PM Re: mosquitos
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I was raised in the Great Black Swamp on the southwestern basin of Lake Erie. Plenty of mosquitoes there, and far enough south that malaria was a problem for the first settlers. When I moved to the hills of southern Ohio, I left the mosquitoes behind. In the hills, there's very little stagnant water for them to breed in. But, if you venture into the Ohio River bottoms, there are still plenty of them to be found. When white folks first moved here, they settled in the hills first. I couldn't figure that out for a while because the bottom land is much richer that hill ground. The cause was mosquitoes. Many of the whites who tried to settle in the bottoms died of malaria.

Hal

#19840 - 06/11/13 05:54 PM Re: mosquitos
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
It's a good year for the biters. smile

I don't use much spray but I do cover up. A bandana is a good thing for your neck or head. Are smudge fire in the yard helps, too. Some people take the drum from an old washer and install it on an old lawn mower. This enables them to have a portable smudge fire burning anywhere in their yard.

I use a Thermacell once in a while. It works.

#19841 - 06/13/13 09:10 PM Re: mosquitos
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Just for clarification, mosquitoes don't bite... they suck.

Hal

#19842 - 06/14/13 01:09 AM Re: mosquitos
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Yup'r, I do believe we're all on the same side of the line here. Mosquitoes suck!!

Frank. smile

#19843 - 06/14/13 01:04 PM Re: mosquitos
NYCOYOTEHOUNDS Offline

Loc: NY
With all the rain we have had, it is perfect breeding ground for them. The only thing that has helped in my opinion is the cooler temps

#19844 - 06/18/13 08:57 PM Re: mosquitos
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
I've started reading "Born on Snowshoes."

The writer refers to dogs and moose being killed by the flies ....

I was slashing trail today. They were pretty bad but not quite as bad as last Saturday. I swallowed a few that day!

#19845 - 06/22/13 12:23 AM Re: mosquitos
High Teck Redneck Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Man, they're awful here in TN. At my house ,just up the hill from a lake, they even bite through bug spray, and the ticks are just as bad. Just this week a man at my work had to go to the doc. because of a tick bite. It turned out he had gotten a staff infection from it. Do you guys up north of me have chiggers or no-see-ums, but to me those are worse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.