Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#20056 - 03/05/13 02:30 PM Gun Rights Bills Make Headway in Several States
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Gun Rights Bills Make Headway in Several States

by Outdoor Hub Reporters on March 4, 2013

submitted by: Daniel Xu

Although a large number of states have begun to pass–or passed–new gun control legislation, some have decided to go against the grain. States such as Michigan, Montana, West Virginia, North Dakota, Texas, and others have their own bills put forward, but to protect residents’ Second Amendment rights.

According to The Detroit Free Press, Michigan lawmakers introduced bills that, among other provisions, could exempt the state from federal firearms regulations and shield firearms registration and license information from Freedom of Information Act requests. Another bill seeks to allow guns in schools and other areas. However, there is heavy opposition to the more than a dozen pro-gun bills and experts expect a tense fight.

“The legislative process tends to be more unpredictable. We don’t expect it to be an easy battle, but we expect progress,” said Phillip Hofmeister, president of the Michigan Open Carry Organization. “Pistol-free zones are criminal empowerment zones where criminals will carry guns, but law-abiding citizens can’t.”

Opponents of the bills say otherwise.

“I own a gun and believe in Second Amendment rights,” said Representative Andy Schor (D-Lansing). “But the majority party is not interested in reasonable gun laws. I believe we can have some reasonable limits. Right now, somebody can walk into my son’s school with a gun on their hip, and I don’t think that’s appropriate.”

The National Rifle Association’s Institute for Legislative Action reports that legislation in West Virginia and North Dakota run along a similar note, paying special attention to the use of firearms during a state of emergency and when and where a person can carry a concealed weapon. Bills in Montana focuses on the authority of universities, employers, and healthcare providers in the matter of gun ownership. Numerous proposals have also been made in the Texas legislature to allow wider liberties for concealed carry permit holders, especially in schools.

Nationwide the gun control debate remains the hot topic of discussion as new federal gun bills near a vote.

Credit: www.outdoorhub.com

#20057 - 03/06/13 02:47 PM Re: Gun Rights Bills Make Headway in Several States
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Here's an interesting story. Read the comments down near the end of the article, about "bluffing" to move the business. There are 2 vacant industrial-sized buildings here in town. I'm sure the county and state would pay the bill for moving, if they'd relocate here.

Pay a one time moving fee, employee 200 folks, wages alone would be over $4 million per year. We could use those 200 jobs in this valley. I haven't yet, but I'm going to mention Magpul to one of the big wheels, in our County Commission. smile

http://news.yahoo.com/company-move-colo-approves-gun-control-160624180.html

#20058 - 03/22/13 12:44 AM Re: Gun Rights Bills Make Headway in Several States
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
I guess the company wasn't bluffing.

http://news.yahoo.com/colo-company-leaving-over-gun-135643755.html

Colo. company leaving over new gun magazine law
Colorado ammunition magazine manufacturer leaving the state over newly passed gun laws
Associated Press – 10 hrs agoEmail0Share450Share0Print

ERIE, Colo. (AP) -- A Colorado ammunition magazine manufacturer is making good on a threat to leave the state after lawmakers approved new gun laws.

Magpul Industries says it plans to begin packing up as soon as possible for a move to several other states. A search is under way to find new locations.

According to the Denver Post (http://tinyurl.com/d5ubwnl ), Magpul chief operating officer Doug Smith said Wednesday a bill signed by Gov. John Hickenlooper that prohibits the sale of gun magazines with more than 15 rounds could seriously impact the company's business.

Magpul is based in Erie, which is about 30 miles north of Denver. It has about 200 workers and is the largest Colorado company that potentially would be affected by the bill, one of three state gun measures passed this year.

___

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.