Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#20467 - 11/22/14 08:38 AM Re: Smart beaver? [Re: KathyP]
Mike Conrad Offline

Loc: Sheffield, Ohio
I had a job once where two beavers moved into a 2-3 acre pond. Took the first one, about 25-30 lbs., on night one in a channel set that ran up to a feeding area. Second and third sets sprung that same night as were all the sets over the next three nights. After that nothing. No fresh cuttings, not ever air bubbles under the clear ice. Pulled everything and told the land owner to call me when he saw fresh cuttings again. Two weeks later I got called back. There was a slightly used crossover about 75 yards away from the lodge. Climbed down the bank about 50 feet from the crossover and walked in the water to it with a CDR. Wire and drowning weight under water, of course, but the anchor stake was under water too. Trap set in about 14" of water. No sign left anywhere near the crossover of my activity. Next day a 45-50 lb. beaver was waiting at the end of the wire. It had a couple of scars on it and was older than its mate. I believe it was already trap shy from an encounter elsewhere and after its mate was caught it was alerted to my attempts to catch it. Moral; sometimes give it a rest and then return with as little disruption as possible with something different.

#20471 - 11/22/14 05:33 PM Re: Smart beaver? [Re: KathyP]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Kathy: You are probably wise to just avoid that job. After you've caught 200, 300, maybe 400 beaver, you might be able to catch the smarts ones. For example, putting sticks in and around your bodygrip traps is in fact a good way to funnel "ordinary" beaver into the trap. You do that around an educated beaver, and you might as well hang up red flags all over the place.

When I have a really smart one, I employ the same tactics that Mike described. Most of the time, this involves a foothold trap because it's "invisible" and that's what it takes for smart ones. I get in the water way away from the site where I want to make the set, carrying all my equipment with me. A blind set is super. The trick is to not leave any disturbance on the bank.

As far as shooting them. It certainly is expedient. However you have to be a good enough shot to pull it off.

Hal

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.