Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#20484 - 11/24/14 06:48 AM breakaways
idahowolfer Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: ST.Maries Idaho
What is the lowest pound breakaway you have held a coyote with? I am not happy with 285# "S" or "J" type. I set over three hundred snares covering alot of ground. Have though of going to 220#. Don't mind losing a few coyotes. Do you think in the right set-up they would hold-up?

#20489 - 11/24/14 09:01 AM Re: breakaways [Re: idahowolfer]
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Note about BA ratings. Unless they were tested using the same method Rated poundage may be useless for comparison. Sort of like trap sizes where manufactures stick some arbitrary number on the pan.

What is your problem? It will be easier to help if we know what going on and what you want to achive

#20492 - 11/24/14 09:38 AM Re: breakaways [Re: Ric]
idahowolfer Offline
Initiate Member

I have used snares since 1964. I trap a very large area here in idaho. I set welll over 300 snares and have a great deal of experence. I use and will continue to use 1/16 1x19 cable with dispatch springs. I trap and snare well over fifty coyotes a year, right out the door of my cabin. My goal is not to have any,none,nada mooseelk, or deer running around with cable on their legs. I catch alot of different critters in traps,and snares. I can accept a loss of some animals if it means missing a few. What I need to know is what is the lightest baw that will hold most coyotes. I set most snares in very(I stress very) heavy brush,and jack pine stands. Many times I crawl into the thick stuff on hands the knees because I gang set, so I cover ever hole.

Edited by idahowolfer (11/24/14 10:18 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#20496 - 11/24/14 03:14 PM Re: breakaways [Re: idahowolfer]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I'm afraid I can't help. I've never tested how low you can go. I know you will lose a few coyotes on a #280. On the same note, I have not had anyone report that they held any leg-snared adult deer in a #280. Actually, I thought #280 was the best compromise.

Hal

#20500 - 11/24/14 04:26 PM Re: breakaways [Re: Hal]
idahowolfer Offline
Initiate Member

thanks folks. I guess I have to try something a little different. I think I'll try your s hook baw combined with an amberg release ferrule(270#). Let you know what happens. Thank You.

#20503 - 11/24/14 07:29 PM Re: breakaways......solved [Re: idahowolfer]
idahowolfer Offline
Initiate Member

Recieved a call from my cable supplier. I purchase 5000' rolls.They had sent cable of a lesser quility by mistake that I have been using on about one hundred new snares. I always buy #1 cable. I now believe the cable was faulty. Every frayed cable was from the new roll. Thanks again as I was very worried.

#20516 - 11/25/14 04:20 PM Re: breakaways......solved [Re: idahowolfer]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
That really is some bad cable if it was breaking under 280 pounds.

Hal

#20547 - 11/27/14 11:12 AM Re: breakaways......solved [Re: idahowolfer]
idahowolfer Offline
Initiate Member

I bought 2 5000' rolls from a logging suppy company. It used to be very good cable made in the states. I was told even the cable they sold to the logging trade, for log skidders and such has been being returned. I tried, though not a scientific method,a static pull test with a #280 s hook and a farm scale. The cable broke almost everytime, at the point behind the snare. I had the snare on a three inch diameter hardwood dowel. Tried it with a few of my older snares and the same type hook, and it released. I do not believe the poundage is arbitrary for baw's though. If it is, we are all in trouble.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.