Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#15741 - 04/09/01 07:00 PM east v western coyote
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, I was wondering are western coyote easier to trap then eastern. I have read where western coyote are a purer strain of coyote and more predictable, is this true. I used to breed hounds and well breed ones are more aggressive and better hunters, where the inbreed ones were shy and skiddish. I sometimes wonder If this would make eastern coyote harder to trap. I have only caught about 100 coyote in my life and I dont think two of them were the same color.are the eastern coyote more inbreed then the western. Do any of you think they are the same to trap? Or is it just the difference in the type terraine say maine trappers have Vs western trappers? thanks baron.

#15742 - 04/09/01 08:59 PM Re: east v western coyote
Mike Free Offline

Loc: Polk City,Iowa, USA
this is kinfda along the same line of questioning , how do u determine if u have western or eastern coyotes , live in the midwest , is there a dividing line , say the mississippi river or what?

#15743 - 04/10/01 12:04 AM Re: east v western coyote
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
A topic like this can really get people started. I'll offer my thoughts right up front. I don't think it amounts to a hill of dung where the coyote's from. There do seem to be some minor genetic differences, particularly in regards to color and size, but beyond that, I think a coyote, is a coyote, is a coyote, and frankly I think it's silly to try and draw a line between the too. I believe the prime determining factor in how hard a coyote, or any animal for that matter, is to catch is determined primarily by population density.

Obviously, you can catch more animals when more of them are present, but it goes beyond that. As animals begin to fill their habitat, competition for the resources become keener and more aggressive. This, in my opinion, makes any individual animal more susceptible to falling for a set. In other words, increased competition causes them to drop their guard somewhat.

A coyote is a coyote, no matter where it's from. The ease or difficulty in catching it is not, in my opinion, a matter of geography. -- Hal

#15744 - 04/10/01 12:55 AM Re: east v western coyote
fisher Offline

Loc: saco,maine,usa
I think it has alot to do with trapper but not because he from maine or out west.it's whether the trapper has the knowledge of the animal he's pursueing and has a veritity of sets to through at them.i also agree with hal higher the population the more the animals will compete for food and will take advantage of what he thinks is a free meal.

fisher

#20810 - 12/11/14 05:31 PM Re: east v western coyote [Re: Anonymous]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.