Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#17068 - 03/20/01 02:47 AM trap collecting - cleaning old traps
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just took up trap collecting as a hobby and
was wondering what is the best way to keep
traps from rusting up and hurting there value while in storage.What methods do you guys use to clean the pans.

#17069 - 03/20/01 03:39 AM Re: trap collecting - cleaning old traps
Jack Turner Offline

Loc: Harrison, Ohio
I use a wire brush for the heavy rust. Then I dye and wax my traps just like those that I use on the trapline. I don't know what is recommended by collectors. Contact Tom Parr of North American Trap Collectors Association. His address is P.O. Box 94, Galloway, Ohio 43119 or call 614-878-6011.

#17070 - 03/24/01 07:59 PM Re: trap collecting - cleaning old traps
Greg Offline

Loc: Oregon
If you are serious about trap collecting then I wouldn't dye & wax any traps. Two reasons one if you ever want to sell or swap with another collector they won't be looking for dyed & waxed traps I know this from talking with others. What you want is a trap that has a natural aged rusted patina not surface rust that comes off but whats left after you lightly clean with a wire brush. Don't clean the pans and make them shiny this takes away from the overall apperance of the trap. I will lightly brush and on some traps oil down with wd-40 and wipe with a rag it may take several times to get the look your after but that's what I do and they turn out very nice looking.

#17071 - 03/25/01 01:42 PM Re: trap collecting - cleaning old traps
Newt Offline

Loc: Port Republic,South Jersey & C...
Muddy Old Trapper, If you are from NJ and want to keep your trap colection in state .DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT. The state raided me and took mine. 9 game wardens and 3 state cops.They had more fire power.My oringal fine was $46,200.00 with no chance of getting them back.I bet some of those @@#$%^&&^%$# have my bear traps in there living rooms.Along with other toothed traps. anit it a shame to call those @$#%^&**&^%$ law inforcment officers. Newt---over----

#17072 - 03/25/01 06:09 PM Re: trap collecting - cleaning old traps
Jack Turner Offline

Loc: Harrison, Ohio
Hey Newt,
Funny you mentioned about you believing in the possibility that some of those game wardens and police officers have some of your traps. You are probably right. A while ago I was going to ask for stories about wildlife officers/game wardens that have been involved in illegal activities themselves. However, I decided to not go through with this because I didn't want beginner outdoorsmen to get the wrong inpression of wildlife officers. Most are decent, but I do know of a few bad apples and have a few stories regarding unethical or illegal activities.

#17073 - 04/11/01 01:17 PM Re: trap collecting - cleaning old traps
mooseman Offline

Loc: Springfield Maine USA
Hey Newt,
I was wondering why the cops raided your house? What did they charge you with with a fine that big? You said it was the original fine what did it end up being? Also what was their proable cause for the raid? I didn't know that it was illegal to possess toothed traps anywhere in the US. So much for freedom. If it is illegal there I wonder how long it will be before it is illegal everywhere? Also if you can tell me where else it is illegal?
Mooseman

#17074 - 04/13/01 01:55 AM Re: trap collecting - cleaning old traps
Newt Offline

Loc: Port Republic,South Jersey & C...
Mooseman,we have "Operation Game Theif" where if you report a vilation and the guy gets convicted ,you get $200.00. So somebody who knew that i had steel traps called.and everybody knew i had them cause i dident hide the fact,that i did.
and it wasent just the toothed traps it was all "Steel Jawed Type Traps". the fine was $250.00 for each trap.my lawer got the fine down to $4,000.00. but i will neaver see my traps again.DONT ever say that cant happen in my state.keep on your toes and fight for your rights.Newt---over--

#17075 - 04/22/01 01:16 AM Re: trap collecting - cleaning old traps
Anonymous
Unregistered

All my footholds including my collection are
in storage at my sisters house across the river in pennsylvania.On occasion I buy a trap or two on ebay.If they are footholds I
have them sent to my sisters house were it is legal to own them.She understands that this NJ law is a bunch of @#$%$#@@ and is nice enough to let me keep my collection with her.

#20811 - 12/11/14 05:34 PM Re: trap collecting - cleaning old traps [Re: Anonymous]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.