Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2078 - 11/25/05 01:22 AM marten trapping
foss4936 Offline

Loc: weston,maine
2 weeks ago i took a piece of deer rib cage and wired it to a small tree. Yesterday i finally caught my first pine marten. Caught him in a #2 victor coilspring square jaw.i also used gide sticks. Has anyone tried this approach?

Also on the belly of the animal appears to have some kind of pitch on, not alot but how do i get this out?

#2079 - 11/25/05 01:49 AM Re: marten trapping
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
I have hung meat like you before, but I always had problems with greyjays and other birds getting caught in the trap.

If the pitch won't come out with gentle brushing and working with your fingers, then leave it alone. Let the buyer deal with it, NAFA even writes that in their fur prep manual. I just brush the hair around it so its not as noticeable. Being that its small and on the belly, the pelt may not even get downgraded.

RO smile

#2080 - 11/25/05 02:28 AM Re: marten trapping
skinner69 Offline

Loc: stillwater,new york
If the pitch your referring to is pine pitch try this.Spray some womens hair spray on a rag and wipe the spot where the pitch is and it should come right out.It doesn't affect the fur and takes the pine pitch off with a little rubbing.

#2081 - 11/25/05 02:16 PM Re: marten trapping
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
I'm not much into womens hair care products.But "hair spray" on marten fur seems like a very bad idea.Pitch mats on Marten fur is not something that is unusual given the realestate they live in.If it can't be removed with little effort I would leave it alone and let the grader detirmin how much of a problem it really is.

#2082 - 11/25/05 02:26 PM Re: marten trapping
skinner69 Offline

Loc: stillwater,new york
I'm not much into womens hair care products myself but if it works in a situation like this,then i'll use it and have used it.

#2083 - 11/25/05 03:16 PM Re: marten trapping
beavbgone Offline

Loc: minnesota
I don't know if it will work on marten but rubbing butter on it sure works good on my dog. I wouldn't of believed it but that is what someone showed me and it worked really well, can't hurt to try.

#2084 - 11/25/05 04:48 PM Re: marten trapping
Dusty Offline
Member+

Loc: North Pole, Alaska, USA
How about a better description of your set, or some photos?

A #2 is way too big for marten. I have a few #1 1/2 LS marten traps, and I always get a few that crawl back through the jaws or a spring before they die, so I have to haul the whole mess back to town and thaw it out to get my trap back. A #1 is the perfect size, but I'd try #0s if I could find them.

You don't really need guide sticks or covered traps for marten. Just make the trap pan a convenient (or, better, necessary) place to step.

Most pitch gets in the fur after it's caught. Keep them swinging away from conifers. If you have a marten or two, you might try removing it. Just don't make a bald spot. I just fluff em up and let em go, and seldom (never?) get docked for pitchy marten (then again, I'm pretty good at keeping them clean while they're in the trap).

#2085 - 11/25/05 11:38 PM Re: marten trapping
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Although marten succumb easily to hypothermia, I would avoid using footholds unless you have VERY cold temperatures.

A 120 will do the trick just as well and you might catch less jays.

I have never being docked for pitch or coni marks.But, as Dusty wrote, thaw out the marten if it's frozen in the trap.

#2086 - 11/26/05 01:59 AM Re: marten trapping
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
Beavtrapper, butter works very good on pitch, but then you have butter in the fur. confused

RO smile

#2087 - 11/26/05 10:24 PM Re: marten trapping
foss4936 Offline

Loc: weston,maine
ok thanks
would a 110coni work for martin in a cubbie set.
lately I have been makeing cubbies with a little wire and evergreen bows up against trees. For bait ive been useing rabbit meat and deer.

Also whats the best trap for martin? (conibears,footholds) and what size? smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.