Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#16678 - 01/08/03 01:51 AM Sets at deer carcuss
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am trapping in about 3-4 inches of snow and have run accross several dead deer left by hunters. Foxes are feeding on them at times. What sets do I use and where do I make it? Remember I am trapping in snow.
Thanks

#16679 - 01/08/03 05:53 PM Re: Sets at deer carcuss
ewoktrapper Offline

Loc: Pa
Don't set them...In PA we are not allowed to set exposed bait/bait stations.

The best thing to do is see where they are comming from or going to.I'd keep my sets away form those deer at least 100 yards so the can't give you a hard time about setting it up.

#16680 - 01/08/03 09:33 PM Re: Sets at deer carcuss
MASHUNTER18 Offline

Loc: COLUMBUS,OHIO
In Ohio we are not allowed to use exposed bait either.I would not set near the carcass as posted above-it is to risky,you could easily catch a raptor,scavanger bird etc..I also would try to set trails leading to the carcass far away from it. laugh

#16681 - 01/08/03 11:05 PM Re: Sets at deer carcuss
45/70 Offline

Loc: South Georgia, usA
Well Sir, since you are an unregistered user,
we don't know what state you are in. In my state, as opposed to the two answers (Penn. & Ohio) you have previously received, we could trap this site. All states are not the same.
We have been known to drag or trailer road
kills to a more favorable spot. Most of our wardens can distinguish between taint and fresh blood smell, and we are in no danger from them. Also, the county road crews appreciate not having to remove the road kills themselves.
However, I generally wouldn't trap the site. I would back off 50 to a 100 yards or so and set or snare the travelways to the large bait. If they are legal in your state, snares are very effective in the situation you describe. Given deep snow, snares are sometimes easier to keep working, and target better than traps.
Adios,
45/70,
RKBA !!!

#16682 - 01/09/03 12:04 AM Re: Sets at deer carcuss
John Porter Offline

Loc: Patten, Maine
I would move away from the carcess and make a flat set or post set. Personally, I love the post set for this situation. Just my opinion though.......John

#16683 - 01/09/03 02:42 AM Re: Sets at deer carcuss
Trapper62 Offline

Loc: Dunseith, ND, USA
45/70 hit it right on the head.

In ND I don't pass up any road kill deer! Back off and snare them, but 1st check you regs to make sure you are legal.

#20880 - 12/11/14 06:46 PM Re: Sets at deer carcuss [Re: Anonymous]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.