Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Fur Handling Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#12090 - 04/19/04 11:17 PM fleshing pelts problem - using sawdust
Woods Harbour Trapper Offline

Loc: Woods Harbour, Nova Scotia CAN...
When I get done fleshing my animals even after using a lot of saw dust, I still have a lot of grease on the edges of the pelt. I have seen a lot of pelts at the pick-up stations and have noticed many of the older trappers have very clean pelts. What do you guys do to solve this? confused

WHT

#12091 - 04/20/04 11:31 AM Re: fleshing pelts problem - using sawdust
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
It’s hard from this description to determine exactly what your problem is.

You’ve mentioned using saw dust. Don’t be misled that sawdust is some sort of cure for a poor fleshing job. You have to scrape the hide thoroughly in the first place.

Personally, I don’t use sawdust. I’ve tried it and it seems to make more mess than it cleans up. In the interest of starting a discussion here, I’m going to edit your topic title to see if we can get some input from other folks on using sawdust to clean up hides.

smile -- Hal

#12092 - 04/20/04 12:46 PM Re: fleshing pelts problem - using sawdust
Woods Harbour Trapper Offline

Loc: Woods Harbour, Nova Scotia CAN...
I agree hal saw dust makes more mess than it does good. I do flesh my pelts clean. just having problems keeping grease and fat out of the fur on the edge of the pelt. when it dries it don't look good. any info would be greatly appreciated.W.H.T smile

#12093 - 04/20/04 01:15 PM Re: fleshing pelts problem - using sawdust
tuskettrapperman Offline

Loc: Nova Scotia Canada
Woods Harbour Trapper:
I use sawdust and find it helps alot. It wasn't mention but for those that don't know use hardwood sawdust and not softwood as softwood has resin in it and makes it sticky. I live near a mink ranch and can get their used stuff easily. When I flesh I throw a handful of sawdust when I see that liquid fat start. I flesh right off the hide and use alot of sawdust when I get there. When I'm done I turn the pelt fur side out and snap it 2 or 3 times to get the sawdust out of the fur; when I put the pelt on the stretcher I use a box cutter and trim about a 1/4" off the ends and pin, then I take a butter knife and papertowel lightly scrap and wipe the sawdust off the pelt, most buyers don't mind if there is some sawdust on the pelt but if you putting in a pelt competion then try to get off as much as possible.

#12094 - 04/20/04 01:34 PM Re: fleshing pelts problem - using sawdust
Obejoyful Offline

Loc: Chino Valley, AZ
WHT, you've not said what type of animals you're putting up. Coyotes cats and foxes usually dry very well after a proper fleshing. Coons, skunks badgers, etc. will exude oils for as long as they remain untanned. Thats why they're not turned and left skin side out after streching.

I would recommend that you discontinue the use of sawdust and simply wipe down those pelts with a paper towel every so often. In particular wipe them down before presenting them for sale.

#12095 - 04/20/04 09:29 PM Re: fleshing pelts problem - using sawdust
Scottthetrapper Offline

Loc: Auburn,NY
I use sawdust but it's mostly for my hands. When my gloves get slippery I grab a handfuland it takes the grease off. Sometimes if I get a grease spot on the fur I'll use it there. I use rags, papertowels, and newspaper to get the grease off the flesh side of my pelts. I've found that sawdust is to hard to remove and messy. A furbuyer friend of mine uses ground up corn cobs. I don't know if it's any better than sawdust, but he uses it alot on everything, and he skins alot more animals than I do.

#12096 - 04/21/04 01:20 PM Re: fleshing pelts problem - using sawdust
The Beav Offline

Loc: Oregon WI
The only thing I can say Is that It dosen't sound like your fleshing close enough.
Coon are the worst and need to be wiped down during the drying period but If they are fleshed well this grease/oil will be very minimal.

The Beav

#12097 - 04/21/04 03:35 PM Re: fleshing pelts problem - using sawdust
mountainman33 Offline

Loc: Central Maine
I've always used fine hardwood sawdust on my greasy critters. After fleshing is done just give the pelt a couple of good snaps and most of the sawdust comes off and of course you will need to comb the fur to further clean out the finer stuff. As the pelts are drying you should give them a wipedown at least once a day. I use clean rags and sometimes newspaper (usually the section with Mark Trail's comic strip, just venting again....see my other post in the forum column. lol) Anyways, its always a source of great pride for me to take my furs to my buyer and have him tell me how good they look, don't think I would be able to do it without the sawdust as good as with it. just my nickles worth!!

...MM...

#21034 - 12/12/14 03:28 PM Re: fleshing pelts problem - using sawdust [Re: Woods Harbour Trapper]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.