Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Trap Care and Preparation Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#18915 - 08/02/02 01:02 PM Re: Types of Trap Wax
The Beav Offline

Loc: Oregon WI
After re reading some of these posts I get the feeling you guys are buying candles and then melting them down,Is this correct?
Try and find out where they have them made and get the wax that Is packaged,not allready In candle form.
The Beav

#18916 - 08/02/02 01:35 PM Re: Types of Trap Wax
badger Offline

Loc: IA
Has anybody had any concerns that the wax purchased at trapping supply stores that has picked up odors? I purchased some and the plastic package had a strong urine/skunk smell. I know that odor can permiate shrink wrap.

Maybe I am being a worry wart, but wax is the first line in canine trapping. It is what is seperating the trap from the canines nose.

#18917 - 08/02/02 09:41 PM Re: Types of Trap Wax
Keith Daniels Offline

Loc: Arlington Oh.
I had a chemist tell me once, you can destroy the chemical that makes up skunk smell (mercaptin ?) with heat, above a certain temp, can't remember what it was, but I know it was too hot to treat skunk skins we were tanning, but it was below the temp you'd have when the wax melted, and I really feel the same would go with most odors, the heat will eliminate them.

Keith

#18918 - 08/05/02 02:13 AM Re: Types of Trap Wax
str8shot426 Offline

Loc: Beloit,WI ,USA
I use gulf brand canning wax. This can be bought at your local grocery store near the canning supplies. I tried both ways water method and pure wax method and strongly recomend the pure wax method. Water only reaches a temperature of 212 degrees, it gets no hotter. Pure wax reaches a much higher temperature. When traps are immersed in pure wax let the trap soak long enough to reach the same temperature as the wax. Small bubbles will form on the trap at first, when they dissapear the trap is the same temp and is ready to be removed. I have Experimented alot of things in the last two years being a new trapper, but i believe this method gives me the best durable results.

thanks for listening,
Jim

#18919 - 08/06/02 01:14 AM Re: Types of Trap Wax
JohnR Offline

Loc: N.E.Ohio
Smells and waxes, seems funny you worry about the other oders and rightfully so, but what of the odor created when heating wax up to the point of smoking, it emits and odor, I know you have all smelled it.I am pretty sure that it goes away at some point, skunks even fade after time. I think after treating traps if you can, let them hang in a natural enviroment for several days, yotebuster30

#21107 - 12/12/14 04:23 PM Re: Types of Trap Wax [Re: mountainman33]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.