Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Traps and Equipment Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#9960 - 01/09/01 02:50 PM beaver sac oil.
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
I have read where the sac oil from a beaver is a good lure to use on beavers in other areas. I bottled some from a beaver I caught this past fall, but have noticed it doesn't really have a noticeable smell to it like the castor and other lures do. Will the other beaver be able to detect this, or should a person add something to this oil?

#9961 - 01/09/01 04:07 PM Re: beaver sac oil.
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Sac oil does not have a powerful odor like castor, but the beaver can smell it. They have a very good nose. But of the two, castor will generally provide the greater attraction for beaver. Castor is a territorial marking scent and enlists a challenge response from the beaver. Sac oil, is a body odor and does not elicit the same strong response. Personally, I use sac oil only for special sets where I am trying to catch an educated beaver that may not be responding to a castor based lure. And I only use a couple of drops at the set. Again, don't worry about them being able to smell it -- they will.
-- Hal

#9962 - 01/10/01 01:29 PM Re: beaver sac oil.
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
Thanks Hal. I was suspicious when I asked my wife ( who several seasons ago became shy of smelling lures I brought to her ) to smell this sac oil and I didn't get the usual response that sent me running for cover and hiding out for several hours. So thought I would see what you guys thought. I just signed up on this yesterday and really enjoy reading all the info. Thanks Dale.

#21164 - 12/12/14 04:40 PM Re: beaver sac oil. [Re: Dale F]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.