Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Traps and Equipment Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#9816 - 01/26/01 04:52 AM tear drop shaped snares???
Anonymous
Unregistered

My snares do not have a perfect circle shape they are more tear drop shaped will this have any effect on how they will work??? "I plan to set them for beaver".Is there any way to get them more round? thanks beavertail

#9817 - 01/27/01 12:54 AM Re: tear drop shaped snares???
trappertuck Offline

Loc: burley,id,usa
Well I dont know about beaver but I catch fox in snares and they always hang in a teardrop shape and they seem to work quite well. You just need to make sure your loop is the right size, but again, I've never trapped beaver so I'm not sure of the correct size. Good luck Trappertuck

#9818 - 01/27/01 01:44 AM Re: tear drop shaped snares???
Newt Offline

Loc: Port Republic,South Jersey & C...
it dont matter.but if you want a round loop. run the first 1/3 of the snare cable starting at the lock over a rod.the handle of your plyers will work.do this till the loop rounds out.if you do it enough you can load the snare.BUT if you try to load the snare too much you can ruin it.there is a small difference betwine a loaded snare and a ruined one so be carefull.Newt---over---

#9819 - 01/28/01 11:16 PM Re: tear drop shaped snares???
TRAPPERBOB Offline

Loc: Lincoln/Nebraska/USA
I snare a few beaver every year and I let them hang tear drop shape the beaver don't seem to mind a bit.

#9820 - 01/29/01 05:51 AM Re: tear drop shaped snares???
northern trapper Offline

Loc: Wood Buffalo, Alberta, Canada
My experience is that there is no real effect as to whether or not you catch your target animal. However I think that a snare set with the lock on the side of the loop kills quicker than with the lock on the top. Reason being that with the lock on top the animal initially pulls straight ahead and often the snare locks closer to the body. With the lock to one side the animal is turned with the first lunge and begins to pull away backing up, thus the snare locks up under the chin and applies pressure to the cartoid artery, killing much more humanely. This would be my experience with canines not cats.

#21167 - 12/12/14 04:41 PM Re: tear drop shaped snares??? [Re: Anonymous]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.