Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#7831 - 09/08/01 02:05 AM Fastening Drowning Sacks
matt_trapper Offline

Loc: Lufkin, Texas
when I use a sac for the deep water stake when drowning beaver do I wrap the wire around the top of the sac? If not, were do I wrap the around sac? Thanks! smile

#7832 - 09/08/01 03:55 AM Re: Fastening Drowning Sacks
East Texas Trapper Offline

Loc: Lufkin,Texas
Matt-
fill the sack with rocks or something and put the wire through it

#7833 - 09/09/01 01:05 PM Re: Fastening Drowning Sacks
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Fill you sack.then take a small rock,about the size of a walnut and fold the open end over it.Now wire the sack off under the rock it will keep your wire from slipping and is not hard on the sacks

#7834 - 09/10/01 12:35 AM Re: Fastening Drowning Sacks
Grinner Offline

Loc: N.E. PA USA
I cut a piece of wire and sort of sew the sack shut so to speak and then wire off the two ends and wire directly to the wire that I weaved in and out of the bag to sew it shut with.

#7835 - 09/10/01 01:09 AM Re: Fastening Drowning Sacks
matt_trapper Offline

Loc: Lufkin, Texas
Why put the wire trough the bag, wouldnt it be better to wrap the wire around the bag, so that you wont destroy your bags as quickly.

#7836 - 09/10/01 02:51 PM Re: Fastening Drowning Sacks
Trapper62 Offline

Loc: Dunseith, ND, USA
By pushing the wire throught he bag you pretty much eliminate the chance of the drowning wire/cable coming of off the bag/weight!

#7837 - 09/10/01 09:11 PM Re: Fastening Drowning Sacks
Grinner Offline

Loc: N.E. PA USA
matt_trapper, I like to use feed sacks or grass seed sacks,they are made of that fabric that is woven and similar to rip stop material, when I am done with a set I cut the wire and pull it out and it usually leaves the bag in good shape, I have bags that I have used for several seasons. Grinner

#7838 - 09/10/01 11:00 PM Re: Fastening Drowning Sacks
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Matt: When I wire up a beaver sack, I use a separate piece of wire to tie the sack shut. Here's how I do it. First, I twist the neck of the sack shut. Then, I spear about a twelve inch piece of wire through the sack material just below the twist. Then, I wrap the wire around the twisted neck of the sack, and finally twist the ends of the wire together. Spearing the wire once through the sack keeps the wire from sliding up on the sack and possibly slipping off. Twisting the wire around the neck, obviously, keeps the sack closed. To finish rigging the sack, I take the drowning wire and fasten it through one or two loops of the wire already twisted around the sack. This makes a hinge joint at the sack, and the drowning wire is less likely to break fastened like this instead of directly to the sack. smile -- Hal

#21415 - 12/13/14 02:47 PM Re: Fastening Drowning Sacks [Re: matt_trapper]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.