Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#7362 - 12/30/03 07:32 PM castor mound set
DOUBLE COIL Offline

Loc: IOWA
is the castor mound set most effective in the spring time or can it be used effectively in the fall? if its not a fall time set, what type of set could be used with a foothold trap and beaver lure? I'll be trapping mainly in smaller, shallow rivers with few if any beaver houses, but quite a few bank dens. Also, in what depth of water do you place your trap at the castor mound?

#7363 - 12/31/03 01:03 AM Re: castor mound set
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tom Olson has popularized setting castor mounds 12 months a year. Tom uses almost 100% 330s at his castor mound with very good success. I use footholds.

I followed Toms advice and now make castor mound sets where I want them, and the beaver find them.

Be confident in using tem in any season.

#7364 - 12/31/03 05:50 AM Re: castor mound set
jdoubledj Offline

Loc: virginia
Well, to answer the second part of the question, imagine the beaver coming up to the mound. It will have its front feet full of mud and debris under his chin and will come up to the mound without putting its front feet down. When his belly hits shallow water he'll put his rear feet down and thats when I catch them. At what depth really depends on the terrain. I'd say the average is 6-12 inches or so.just picture the beave aproaching the mound and where he'll step. Don't forget to bed the trap a little to the side or his tail might fire the trap.

#7365 - 01/03/04 02:29 AM Re: castor mound set
milker76 Offline

Loc: Grove City,PA
need help with mound set? Where and how would be good for me. Do I set them on the bank or in the water. not new to trapping beaver but knew to castor mound sets.

#7366 - 01/03/04 04:20 AM Re: castor mound set
coon_whacker Offline

Loc: sykesville, pa
I have to disagree with jdoubledj when you have a castor mound set the beaver does not come to the set with mud in front feet, he is coming to check it out and trash it. But if he is making his own castor mound he will have the mud.
mike

#7367 - 01/03/04 12:26 PM Re: castor mound set
jdoubledj Offline

Loc: virginia
I have had my mounds covered with new mud on several occations, not all, but several. I've also had them trashed as well. The consept to catching with the trap is the same though as far as I'm concerned. Coni's are just as effective. I like to make my mounds about 6 inches or so from the water. I scoop up leaves and small debris from the water and blend in some mud. I usually make them 8 inches high and sometimes a little less and 12 to 18 inches in diameter. I then finish it off with castors that Iv'e saved from other catches in other locations. You can use a good castor lure too. I usually catch 150-200 per season with this method. There are other methods but this works pretty good for me. Good luck!

#21467 - 12/13/14 03:02 PM Re: castor mound set [Re: DOUBLE COIL]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.