Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#6755 - 11/24/05 04:57 PM Otter Info
RedMister Offline

Loc: Washington County, NY
I'm just getting back into trapping. I used to catch many rats and mink when I was a kid, and now it's my turn to pass it down the line. I don't know squat about otter trapping, but I'm not letting that stop me from tryin'...
Anyway, I was spotted by a pair of otters a few days ago. They barked at me then swam up the river. I haven't seen them since, nor have I seen any fresh tracks. Nothing at their toilet either. Do you think I scared them away?? They've been at the area for a while. Also, what size wire would be best for drowning otters?

#6756 - 11/24/05 05:32 PM Re: Otter Info
Buzzard.. Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Naw, ya didnt scare em away....try makin a artificial slide if ya cant find one.

As for wire, I use cable on all my drowners but have used 14 eletric fence wire before also. Its a pain to work with tho. I have never used 14 guage annealed wire so I cant comment on that.

#6757 - 11/24/05 07:52 PM Re: Otter Info
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I use mostly cable too. But, I wouldn't use anything less than 12 gauge annealed wire for otter.

smile -- Hal

#6758 - 11/25/05 01:44 PM Re: Otter Info
Otterwater0566 Offline

Loc: Austin, AR
The otter will come back. Collect some fresh scat and keep it for sets at another location. A basic beaver set is good for otter. Set all little feeders streams in the area and be patient. Gang sets are a good idea. Don't be afraid to let sets stay awhile otters may take several days to work their areas and return. I have an area with several ponds near a creek. I have caught several that where in a hurry to get back to the creek via small drainages after they see or hear my truck coming towards the first pond. If you find toilets from other areas, make a flat set and "lure" with other otter scat. lol

#6759 - 11/25/05 09:24 PM Re: Otter Info
RedMister Offline

Thanks for your help folks!
I have another question for you... Ok, I'm going to pick up cable some time this weekend, so... What size should I purchase? I need to know just in case I need to make the holes in the drowner locks larger.

#6760 - 11/26/05 02:39 AM Re: Otter Info
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
I use 7x7 3/32 on all my beaver/otter drowning slides.

RO smile

#6761 - 11/26/05 08:18 PM Re: Otter Info
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I use 1/8 7X7. You get less kinking. I can use the same sliders for three or four seasons.

smile -- Hal

#6762 - 11/26/05 10:54 PM Re: Otter Info
RedMister Offline

Thanks guys! I did pick up 100 feet of cable. Before I set the traps, I need to finish a few things.
I saw two otters this morning about 1/2 mile upstream. I think they're the same ones that I saw last week. The larger one was eating something that looked like a muskrat. Would they eat muskrats?
I now have plenty of bait if they do...

#6763 - 11/27/05 02:20 AM Re: Otter Info
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
Yes, they eat muskrat. The tricky part is trying to bait them. Otter are pretty efficient killers, and I have never had much luck enticing them with bait, so I focus on pinch downs, slides, spill ways/crossovers on beaver dams and drowning sets on get out points near toilets.

RO smile

#21503 - 12/13/14 03:10 PM Re: Otter Info [Re: RedMister]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.