Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#4561 - 01/26/01 05:49 PM how do you make a cubby set
M.Creek Offline

Loc: Charleston,Tn. U.S.
I am new to trapping and i never heard of a cubby set and I noticed you guys always refer to that set when trapping bobcats and thats my target animal.

#4562 - 01/27/01 05:46 PM Re: how do you make a cubby set
Jack Turner Offline

Loc: Harrison, Ohio
I was hoping that someone else would answer this because they could probably describe it better than I. A cubby is no more than a set made of wood or rocks where the bait is "stored" inside. Some cubbies have only one entrance and the trap is set in front of it. Others have two entrances and a trap is positioned on both ends. I like cubbies for mink along streams/creeks. I place fish in the middle and have a trap on both ends. Cubbies are good for almost any furbearer that will enter a confined space, bobcat included. Now that I've responded you may get someone to describe it better. Hope this helps a little.

#4563 - 01/28/01 09:44 AM Re: how do you make a cubby set
lynx/cat-trapper Offline

Loc: Twin Falls,Id.
In relationship to bobcats,most sets are a variation of a flat set to where the animal encounters the set while walking thru.Most of these are unrestricted to keep the animal interested and not spooked.Look at cubbies for cats like a funnel,the cubbie can be made under tree roots,under banks,in cave openings,under rock overhangs etc. With a cubbie you most of the time funnel the cat to the set,cats aren't easily spooked and can be easily guided bu use of stepping sticks,rocks,or brush.With a cubbie you usually funnel the set down to where,on the approach the only place left to step is the trap pan on approaching the bait/lure. Also use LOTS of eye appeal for cats,couriosity killed the cat!!!LOL
lynx/cat/trapper

#4564 - 01/28/01 04:19 PM Re: how do you make a cubby set
bulletbox Offline

Loc: Robert Lee, TX, USA
I make mine out of sticks and brush. I live in TEXAS, and you can always find dead wood of sometype. What I generally do is find a bush, tree, big rock or catcus as a backing. I generally try to find one that has a natural hole in it. After finding the backing, I use handheld brush trimmers to clean out the hole. I like to have a hole big enough that the cat can think it can go into and turn around. I them make my cubbie. The cubbie is shaped like a "V" with the point going into the back of the brush, rock or tree, they do not need to touch. I usually make mine 6 ot 12 inches high. I then place the trap in the mouth of the V and use guide sticks on each side to the trap. I take a rock, cow chip, piece of dead wood, or bone and place my urine on it. Approximately 8 to 9 inches from the pan behind the trap.

It works for me, the key is the backing.

Good Luck and God Bless you and yours,

bulletbox,
TEXAS

#21537 - 12/13/14 10:39 AM Re: how do you make a cubby set [Re: M.Creek]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.