Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#5512 - 02/21/01 11:19 PM Coyote/fox Trap Selection
DAVYKROKIT Offline

Loc: ohio
I am looking into purchasing some new coilspring traps for land trapping. I am targeting fox and yotes. I have been looking at two different models-the Sl. Creek 1 1/2 modified that is now offered by Sterling Fur and the Bridger 1.65 fully modified. I have several reasons for considering these.
1)Can't use over #2 on land(state reg)
2)I want to reduce injury on dogs, cats
3)I don't want to buy something that may possibly be unsuitable someday according to BMP
4)I want to have a shot at some of the coon that get into my sets.
Any other ideas would be appreciated. thanks

#5513 - 02/22/01 12:46 PM Re: Coyote/fox Trap Selection
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
My recomendation would hinge on how many coyote you expect.If it is just one now and then you made a couple good choices.If coyotes will make up a substantal part of your catch go for a 13/4 or 2.Bear in mind that none of these are an ideal coon trap for land use

#5514 - 03/15/01 02:55 AM Re: Coyote/fox Trap Selection
The Beav Offline

Loc: Oregon WI
I would go with the 1 1/2 sleepy creeks with
the T bar offset jaws they will be friendly to fox and will hold a coyote with a good pad catch.It's not the best coyote trap but will work. You say the 1.65 bridgers are fully modified? Does that mean they are 4 coiled? If so they will be hard on cats and non target catches not to mention fox.You don't need the four coils neither trap is the Ideal coon trap but the 1 1/2 is the better of the two. The Beav

#5515 - 03/15/01 03:07 AM Re: Coyote/fox Trap Selection
trapr731 Offline

Loc: Hazen, Arkansas, USA
I like the bmi 2k9 wolfers, the jaw spread is a little tight, not much room for placement error, but they are 4-coiled, laminated and hold great. I use them with disposable anchors haven't had hardly any sprung traps or pull outs.

#5516 - 04/02/01 12:58 AM Re: Coyote/fox Trap Selection
joetrapper Offline

Loc: michigan
I have held several coyotes with #1.5 northwoods traps. If traps are to be checked everyday you should be fine. The traps you listed are about the same dimensions as the northwoods traps. I also use Iowa disposable stakes and I highly recommend them. They can be dug up and reused so don't let the word disposable scare you. If you are in an area with mainly coyotes don't be afraid to buy a few modified #2 traps. I have had good luck with both the brands you are considering. Also try off-set jaws

#5517 - 04/02/01 03:16 AM Re: Coyote/fox Trap Selection
trappertuck Offline

Loc: burley,id,usa
I have been made into a Bridger fan. In my opinion they are the best trap for the money. They are a sturdy trap with some good weight to them. If there are dogs and cats in the area I wouldn't four coil them you will shurley end up with fido or fluffy in your trap, then mad neighbors. Like I said Bridgers are the way to go. Trappertuck

#21545 - 12/13/14 04:42 PM Re: Coyote/fox Trap Selection [Re: DAVYKROKIT]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.