Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#3034 - 11/27/01 11:06 PM Alternatives To Anti-Freeze?
Lazy K Offline

Loc: Michigan
I decided earlier in the season not to fox trap this year and I can't stand it any longer, boiled traps last night. This is later than I've ever started before and am worried about freeze proofing my sets. I read an article in a past issue of Trapper and Predator Caller Magazine about a freeze proofer and now I can't remember what it was. It wasn't simply dry dirt, or anti-freeze or buck wheat hulls. Could it have been urea?

All I remember is it made a lot of sense, was cheap and available locally. Does anyone remember the article or have a suggestion? I'm not prepared as well as I should be and I'm anxious to get going.

#3035 - 11/28/01 12:13 AM Re: Alternatives To Anti-Freeze?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey LazyK, It was urea, and you can usually
available at the local farmers co-op. I personaly use dry dirt and sodium nitrate. If
the ground stays frozen and the air temp. stays below freezing dry dirt is all you need....See Ya...TT

#3036 - 11/29/01 01:19 AM Re: Alternatives To Anti-Freeze?
The Beav Offline

Loc: Oregon WI
Like the TT say's stay with the dry dirt If you can.In wet freezing weather I will use waxed dirt.I like to stay away from salt type products If I can, I feel they give off unnatural odors.But i know lots of trappers use It.

The Beav

#3037 - 11/29/01 03:06 AM Re: Alternatives To Anti-Freeze?
BillWI Offline

Loc: Bonduel,WI,US
Just bought a bag of urea today. Costed like $7 for a 50# bag. Remade all of my sets with it. So I really cant say how it works but it isnt real hard to work with and the guy at the coop says I can use it on the lawn this spring if it doesn't work.

#3038 - 11/29/01 12:36 PM Re: Alternatives To Anti-Freeze?
Lazy K Offline

Loc: Michigan
Thanks guys. Next year I will be more prepared with dry dirt and waxed dirt. Not sure what I'm going to try still this year, maybe a couple different things and see how it goes. If it doesn't work out I'll just move to the water and try for mink. It's all fun!

#3039 - 11/29/01 12:47 PM Re: Alternatives To Anti-Freeze?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I talked to a friend recently who read that article, and tryed urea on all of his coyote sets. He had nothing but problems with digging and working the edge of the sets. He reset all of this traps in new sets without using urea, and his problems stoped.

Its hard to beat plain dry dirt for wet weather trapping. Wet weather k-9 trapping is hard work, no way around that. One trick I do is after a rain, if freezing weather is not coming, is to just scatter a handful of dry dirt over a "washed out" set- this freshens up the set considerabily. Remember to blend in your dry dirt circle well with the rest of the set. Coyotes will shy from sets that are wet, with a dry circle over the trap. Two ways toi do this are 1)just use a little wet dirt in a very thin layer as a final covering and 2) cut up grass, etc to blend in the pattern......trappnman

#3040 - 11/29/01 04:23 PM Re: Alternatives To Anti-Freeze?
The Beav Offline

Loc: Oregon WI
Lazy K
Don't give up yet.Just go under some bridges
and you can find all the dry dirt you will need.

The Beav

#21589 - 12/13/14 04:56 PM Re: Alternatives To Anti-Freeze? [Re: Lazy K]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.