Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#4767 - 01/28/02 03:13 PM keeping coon out of Fox Snares ?
Mike Hall Offline

Loc: Michigan
Hi all, I decided to give snaring a try, and set out a few in central Michigan. First 2 nights I had Coon in my sets, and they tore the crap out of the snare. How can I keep the Coon out of the snare? Am i setting the loop too low to the ground? all were caught in the mid-section, none by the neck. Thanks
in advance.

#4768 - 01/28/02 05:19 PM Re: keeping coon out of Fox Snares ?
Newt Offline

Loc: Port Republic,South Jersey & C...
WHY???????? there's a good coon market. and you realy cant keep'm out.snares are a 1 catch.then you have to remake the snare.save the swivel and lock.then you can build new snares out of the parts Newt---over---

#4769 - 01/29/02 12:43 PM Re: keeping coon out of Fox Snares ?
Keith Daniels Offline

Loc: Arlington Oh.
You can't hardly keep them out, but if you're body catching them in snares set specifically for fox, I'd guess your snare is probably too low, just as you suspect. Try a good 9" to the bottom of the loop. I snared a couple reds last year in 10" loops, 12" off the snow, so don't be afraid to raise them.

Keith

#21603 - 12/13/14 11:01 AM Re: keeping coon out of Fox Snares ? [Re: Mike Hall]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.