Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#4386 - 09/08/02 12:52 AM canids and burnt wood
Anonymous
Unregistered

My dogs really love to chew on a charred piece of wood. I know about using burnt wood as a visual attractor at sets or as a scent post but do wild canids chew the stuff too?

#4387 - 09/08/02 02:09 AM Re: canids and burnt wood
Steve Offline

Loc: Milton, Indiana
Musher,

I don't know if they chew it...but I've heard old time trappers talk of making sets in old campfire sites with ashes and charred wood. I believe that Hawbaker had a campfire set in his book published decades ago. Never tried it myself though.

Steve

#4388 - 09/08/02 09:20 AM Re: canids and burnt wood
ewoktrapper Offline

Loc: Pa
Tom Krause did a artical for F-F-G some years back,on the Burnt post set.So I cut some oak stakes about 16 inches long and put a point on one hand and charred the other end.

I made the set by pounding the ground and setting the trap back about 7 inches or so.I lured it with fermented egg and urine like the artical said.The next day I went to the set and the post was gone,trap not fired.In the dirt I saw where a yote came in on the back side and took off with my post.So i pounded in a nother one,just pounded it farther back to adjust for trap placement-next day he stole it again LOL.To make a long story short after the first season of use and trying to understand it-It's a deadly set...I took my first yote on it and been A set that i use for a differant look.

The few things I learned (the hard way)hehe

I make my posts 20 inches long made out of oak.I like oak just because it doesn't split in hard ground while pounding it in.At 20 inches they don't steal as many..

I like to pound the post in a 45 degree angle,with the top of the post being the farthes point from the trap.Another words 45 degrees away from the trap.The reason to angle it is because the girls got to peee too.I like to leave about 12 inches out of the ground.I also found out they like to come from the back side also to this set.I'll set it close to a shrub or something to block them.I like the traps about 7 inches away from bottom of post.I set for fox with hopes of a yote.You might want to go back more if your area is mostly yotes.The burnt post soaks up the urine good and I now top it off with a good gland lure.Leave the egg at home LOL.

The good thing about the longer post is they won't steal it as often.The Bad thing is if the post stays in the catch circle with the fox/yote it will be black in the morning.I wash my furs so I don't mind.you might want to go short so the critter throughs it out of the catch circle.

Any ?'s just yell!!! Good luck

#4389 - 09/09/02 12:52 AM Re: canids and burnt wood
JohnR Offline

Loc: N.E.Ohio
I've heard of a burnt post and a campfire set, I guess in my mind I'd put it eaqul to a chaff pile set in early season, see, when hay is cut there are alot of snacks for all, as with fire, yotes and fox know this, so it only makes sense they would check it out.
Ewolk, I am cuious as to how close to homes or camp grounds you set? I do no mean this question as an insult but rather to back up my thinking.I am going to try this set both ways this year, on on a fire pit I know the yotes tend to every monday after gun season and the post in places for a change up as ewolk. good luck yotebuster30

#4390 - 09/09/02 01:41 AM Re: canids and burnt wood
ewoktrapper Offline

Loc: Pa
30-I never used the camp fire set.I have used the Burnt post set in the middle of strip mines.It sticks out like a sore thumb on a strip job,and I snag the grays on it.I'll use it in a hay field or anywhere I want a post set.Back on logging roads,power-lines and strip jobs the set has great eye appeal.I look for kind of a dirt barren place (open),to place it so it does stick out.

I still have the posts out in some areas.When I pulled the trap I never pulled the post.At these set I just bed trap ,hit with urine and go.I fore-go the gland lure until it gets colder.I only lure new posts.Another thing is if you get a post that was chewed on at a catch circle,pull the post and put in new.The catch circle will be most of the eye appeal.That old post that you just pulled,put it on the line in another location.There is just something about the chewed post that they just got to play with it.I guess it would be like a dog that put down it's bone and another just has to steal it.With the chewed post I put urine at the bottom half of the post instead of the whole length. wink

#4391 - 09/10/02 12:54 AM Re: canids and burnt wood
JohnR Offline

Loc: N.E.Ohio
Thanks guys, great post for a simple set, I'll let you know next year how the camp fire goes, I hope it works, but I am glad to see you having good luck with a burnt post, thanks again, John

#4392 - 09/12/02 02:50 PM Re: canids and burnt wood
45/70 Offline

Loc: South Georgia, usA
The burnt post set has become my regular change-up. If I am setting doubles, it is almost always one of the two sets I use.
This set is very deadly in a wide range of
situations. I have used it alone as a double where woods roads pass thru gates or other restricted areas. A note on the synthetic
egg: My friend Red Edgemond recommends using
no more than THREE DROPS on the set along with urine, and possibly a urine/gland lure mix, or a couple of drops of gland lure together with the urine. Finish the set off with the SFE. This stuff is potent, and we believe that more than 3 drops irritates the
lining of a fox or coyotes nose.
Also, while there is at least one other SFG on the market, Red's experience and mine has
been limited to Pete's Lure. I understand that Pete A' is no longer in the lure business having sold out to Don Murry. Mr. Murry told me via telephone that while he was going to continue with all of Pete's Lures, he probably would sell his currect stock of SFE, and due to the difficulties in making it, might discontinue this product.
I bought a dozen bottles of SFE from Don, and
at my age, using 2 or 3 drops at the time, this is probably a lifetime supply. If you try this stuff, be sure to throw the bottle cap away and replace it with an eye dropper
style cap for precise measurment. Almost w/o exception the complaints we have heard regarding the burnt stick set and SFE are when the use of the SFE was over done. There are years on my line when this set out preforms my dirt holes and flat sets.
One of the reasons that the old Hawbaker Camp Fire set worked so well was that frequently
meat greases and other foods stufs were disposed in the camp fire when the camp was pulled. It is the charcoal in the partially burned wood that holds the scent so well.
My fist experiences with sets of this nature were with long leaf pine cones that had been
partially burned in woods fires. They were there, and they were natural, but unless staked down once lured they often got carried away. From this beginning eloved my version of what is now know as the burnt stake set.
As noted above, it needs be driven deep, and used with a backing. One of the more effictive backings I have found is a clump of broom sage. At times I will dig out a sizable clumb of sage, and transplant it for my burnt stick backing.
Adios,
45/70,
RKBA !!!

#4393 - 09/12/02 06:58 PM Re: canids and burnt wood
MASHUNTER18 Offline

Loc: COLUMBUS,OHIO
Thanks for mentioning this set.I plan to throw one in the mix to see what happens this year laugh laugh

#4394 - 09/13/02 11:04 PM Re: canids and burnt wood
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow! The campfire set brings back memories. I'm retired Army so I have traveled all over and got to trap in a lot of other states. While in Kansas I used to trap a lot of the campsites surrounding Milford Resovoir near Ft Riley. These places closed during the late fall and no hunting was allowed but you could trap there. At any rate I would bury 2 northwoods #3s under the ashes and stake them down. Then I would burn some real smelly bait or an ear of corn until it smoldered. Then I just left it. I caught yotes, bobcats, badger, and truckloads of coon. I was amazed at how this set worked. laugh

#21630 - 12/13/14 05:12 PM Re: canids and burnt wood [Re: Anonymous]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.