Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2098 - 11/28/05 10:17 PM Re: marten trapping
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
Foss, you need pretty high densities of marten to run clumps of traps. If your checking more than once a month, you'll do just fine with a 1/2 - 3/4 mile trap spacing. If you find a set that always seems to have a marten in it, then I would set another trap close by, other than that, your better off to cover more area with the traps you have. I run a line through good marten habitat and trap every marten I can, while leaving the surrounding 5-10 mile wide strips on either side alone. This system allows the marten in the buffer zone to repopulate my line for the following season.

RO smile

#2099 - 11/29/05 10:32 AM Re: marten trapping
Dusty Offline
Member+

Loc: North Pole, Alaska, USA

I should have used the word "Humane" instead.

That's a bit anthropomorphistic, don't you think?

it was not unusuall to have live martens hanging when the weather was a little warmer

I've found one live marten in a 110 - ever - and I heard him get caught about 2 minutes after I set the trap. I hung around to watch him die - it took well under 5 minutes in a weak-springed Duke 110. It's all about how you set your triggers. A "perfect" head catch is far from perfect - a "suitcase" catch kills them just fine, as evidenced from several hundred of my cheap and chewable plastic buckets.

As for having 200 traps to keep 100 set, I don't buy it.

Then don't. I'm not trying to sell it! Those aren't my numbers, by the way, just an example. I brute-force take mink out - I catch maybe a dozen a year in marten sets - and break close to half of them in the process. I'm not breaking $75 marten on purpose.

I don't consider making trapping equipment meet a certain performance threshold a bad thing

I do, as long as someone far away is setting those standards. It's as stupid as 24 hour checks. If you've managed to convince yourself that you need the Government's blessings to select a trap, good. I haven't and don't appreciate it being pushed on me.

The best part is I can do all of the above without affecting catch numbers.

Your catch numbers, perhaps, but not mine. I can set 110s faster than 120s, so I can set more traps if I set 110s, so I catch more fur. I trap a long way from home in a cold miserable place with not much daylight, and manage to pay for a couple airplanes with fur. I don't know of too many other part-timers doing that, so I think I'll just stick with my methods.

If your checking more than once a month, you'll do just fine with a 1/2 - 3/4 mile trap spacing.

That depends on the area. I have a friend who grew up setting traps in Nov and checking them in Mar with no canabalism. Where he now traps (500 miles from where I trap, BTW) they love packing each other off.

I run a line through good marten habitat and trap every marten I can...

That's one method. Another is to pull when you hit some percentage (60% is a good number) of females.

allows the marten in the buffer zone to repopulate my line for the following season.

That is absolutely critical. Marten are easy to trap out, completely.

#2100 - 11/29/05 08:54 PM Re: marten trapping
RiverOtter Offline

I don't need the govt's blessing to select a trap, but it helps to stay legal, unless your into having the game warden camped out on your line. In B.C., the B.C. Trapping Association works with the govt to set the standards which will meet the 2007 requirements. So unless you can sell all your fur at home, and not on the world market, you may have to update yourself.

The 24hr check doesn't make sense for me either, due the time it takes on sno-go to get to where most of my line is. But there is no way a 1 month or more check is anywhere near ethical or responsible. If your only concern is $75/per pelt for a marten(which by the way is way above the average pelt price) and you don't care how the critter dies to get your money, than your no trapper. That is exactly the kind of stuff the anti's feed off of to try and ban trapping. Alaska may be further north than B.C., but it is not out of reach of bans.

RO frown

#2101 - 11/30/05 01:33 AM Re: marten trapping
Dusty Offline
Member+

but it helps to stay legal

Agreed. Fortunately, I can set any trap I want for any amount of time I want, within season.

But there is no way a 1 month or more check is anywhere near ethical or responsible

How so? What's the difference in leaving it hanging at -40 for a month, or skinning it and putting it in a freezer at 0 for a month? Surely you wouldn't argue that that's unethical, would you? Is it somehow less dead if I get there sooner?

That is exactly the kind of stuff the anti's feed off of to try and ban trapping.

They feed off themselves.

Yes, $75 is the high end. My last years average was closer to $68.

A.I.H.T.S is between Canada, Russia, and the EU. It does not apply to the US or Korea, where most of my marten end up (or so I've been told).

#2102 - 11/30/05 02:55 PM Re: marten trapping
RiverOtter Offline

I have no problem with your fur hanging from a tree for a month. The longer it hangs, the greater the risk of it being chewed on or eaten, but thats your problem not mine. I just disagree with the whole "I never had a marten get out of my ___ trap and it was dead when I got there, so its a good trap". Checking once a month, even a marten put on dog leash and left in the bush would be dead by the time you got back to check, so it would be a good tool as well, if you could rig up a mechanism to fire it around the martens body somehow.

As an example, last winter I had a marten get into a #3 victor in a bobcat cubby. It was caught by the front leg, which he had broken fighting the trap and he was still very much alive. Not wanting to use my .22(for obvious reasons) I went to my 4-wheeler and grabbed a 160 BMI which was a newer trap, but old style springs and frame. I rigged it onto a stick and sprung it on the marten. The trap hit him just behind the shoulders and I thought it would all be over in about a minute, considering the size of the trap and the temp which was around -20`F. I watched and waited for exactly 2 minutes and he appeared no worse than when the trap first went off and was still cussing me out. I ended up grabbing a nearby stick and finishing the job. I don't know how long it would have taken for him to expire in that coni, and that's not counting how long he had already been in a #3(which from the evidence at the cubby was 24hrs minimum). If I was on the once a month plan, that marten would have been dead, and I could have said that my traps were awsome because he didn't get away.

You can trap with what ever your laws will allow, but for me I refuse to use any killing traps that do not render the quickest end to the critters life. This is my last post on this subject, your mileage obviously varies.

RO

#2103 - 11/30/05 04:19 PM Re: marten trapping
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Interesting discussion. Once again, it is a fine example of how trapping methods vary due to geographical/meteorogical constraints.

I don't like have things imposed on me. That's why I am in strong disagreement with how Canadian federal and provincial governments have kissed the butts of European markets with regard to the selling of our fur. We often say that our local associations are working WITH the gov't ... In reality they are consulted and the civil servants do as they originally planned. It also seems that if a trap is Canadian made it is easier to get it to be legal. (I'm going to take lumps for writing that.) I hope I'm wrong ,but, until they test the jake trap I'm going to be a hard guy to convince.

European marten (zebelin?) are not subjected to the same capture rules ours are. Muskrats are thrown out in the Netherlands and killed with any and all means. The list goes on. All this "humane" trapping stuff had nothing to do with animals and everything to do with protecting trade markets.

The Chinese are the big boys now. They aren't fussy about how animals are killed.They'll buy our fur if the want it.

My problem with a trap holding a catch for a month is that it is inoperative until the trapper returns. But I'm not going to tell an airplane trapper in Alaska what to do for the same reason I don't want him telling a dogsledding trapper in Quebec what to do. He knows how it works successfully for him.

What trappers do isn't pretty. Life is hard and death isn't a cakewalk either. Ask a person with cancer or a marten in a 160. As trappers we should do what we can - without endangering ourselves. many of the 2007 marten traps are dangerous for kids to use (adults too). No kids means no future trapper

RO: you've signed off on this!

Dusty: I bet you agree with me.

Foss 4936: Catch as many as you can; cleanly, safely, and legally with depleting the resource. A local buyer is quoting 80 Canuck bucks for 22 inches on up! laugh

#2104 - 11/30/05 05:10 PM Re: marten trapping
Dusty Offline
Member+

I don't think we're all on the same page. I'm not trying to come across as arrogant or somehow superior, and I certainly pride myself on not wasting fur. If I was losing fur I'd do something different - I'm sure not trapping just to reduce the marten population. If I were a better communicator I'm sure that would be obvious, as my intention was to share some of my methods for NOT losing fur. To illustrate that, I brought up the fact that some of the country I trap is inaccessable for long periods of time and my methods work over those time periods, therefore should work just as well (but may be unnecessary) over shorter intervals.

I don't plan to check as seldom as I'm sometimes forced to do, I just sometimes can't check as often as I'd like. I trapped off snowmachines for years and didn't have trouble getting back to sets. Then I started flying, and lost some fur to canabalism and bad weather. I figured out ways to prevent that from happening, and thought I could freely share those methods here among trappers. Isn't that what these boards are about?

I too believe we have an ethical responsibility to "humanely" (as much as I hate that word) kill the animals we catch, and I believe my methods do that. I've had bad catches - haven't we all? - and the first thing they do is eat my bucket. I've also seen several hundred marten hanging by non-chewed buckets. 110s, as I set the triggers, are a quick killing trap, regardless of the Canadian Government's opinions. I wouldn't set them if that wasn't the case. Even if I didn't care about humanity as it applies to marten, I'd want them dead as quickly as possible to prevent fur damage and getting pitchy.

Musher: I just set more traps to alleviate that. Yes, it means I buy and take the time to set more traps. I could probably set fewer traps over more country and take home just as many marten, but as I said above I'm not willing to accept the loss of fur.

I have a very hard time disagreeing with anyone who's receptive to the idea that their way may not be the only, or even best, way across the board. You don't have to agree with me, you sure don't have to use my methods, but please don't condemn them from 1000 miles and several weather systems away.

Thanks for being open minded!

#21758 - 12/13/14 11:40 AM Re: marten trapping [Re: foss4936]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.