Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#21855 - 12/24/14 10:41 PM Beaver Help !
Gary B Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Southern Illinois
I recently found a place that some "new" beavers moved into.Its a creek that they have dammed up and now there is three ponds with runs connecting them all. I made a set in each of the runs with 330's.The first was about 10 feet from the crossover .The second about 10 feet in front of the crossover and the last one just about 5 feet into the run.

The first trap the beaver got out of the run,moved the 3 inch thick 5 foot long dive stick and walked around the trap. The second trap was sprung and the third the dive stick was moved again and he went around the trap . There was a bunch of trash around that trap like he was laughing at me.

The one mistake I can look back and see was I should have waded into the run and made the sets instead of doing it from the bank. I don't have enough leghold traps to set up on the crossovers,and I don't think I can drown them there anyway. I think the 330s in the runs is the best way to go.

Should I try and tweak my sets some to hide my presence more and try again a few times ? Does anyone have another suggestion ?

#21856 - 12/25/14 12:12 AM Re: Beaver Help ! [Re: Gary B]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
If they are 330 shy, it's going to be hard to cacth them in one. Can you use a snare in the water? That might be the way to go. Or, find a deep enough spot to drown them in a foothold. Otherwise, try to set your bodygrips in some places where there is a lot of brush or weeds that will camouflage them. Good luck. Smart beaver can be tough.

Hal

#21876 - 12/25/14 11:07 PM Re: Beaver Help ! [Re: Gary B]
Gary B Offline
Initiate Member

I did see a couple spots that would be good for a snare. I'm gonna give them a few days to forget about me and get after them again. We got a good amount of rain the last few days so the game may have changed just a little.

#21924 - 12/30/14 12:02 AM Re: Beaver Help ! [Re: Gary B]
Gary B Offline
Initiate Member

UPDATE I went back after a week and there was activity everywhere so I made almost the same sets I did last week but I his my traps a lot better than I did before. I had two traps that were not touched one that was set off with a big chewed stick and one with a 50 plus pound beaver in it. I re set them all and they were untouched the next day.I'm gonna give them another go in a few days but I'm gonna blitz them with a snare everywhere I can put one.

#21959 - 12/31/14 04:22 PM Re: Beaver Help ! [Re: Gary B]
Ronaround Offline

Loc: NEOhio
Well it appears you got either the female or male parent.

#22036 - 01/06/15 11:47 PM Re: Beaver Help ! [Re: Gary B]
Gary B Offline
Initiate Member

UPDATE #2. I went back to the same place this past week and set nearly everything I had that could catch and hold a beaver. The next day I had another 50+ pounder and a smaller 30ish pound one. The uncle that I trapped with years ago told me to never catch more than 3 or 4 out of a spot and leave the rest for seed. So I pulled up and scouted another spot that looks like beaver Mecca. My plans are to cut a four wheeler path in there tomorrow and get some traps in the water/ice.

#22092 - 01/13/15 04:58 AM Re: Beaver Help ! [Re: Gary B]
trapnjon Offline

Loc: North Carolina
You can also cable a foothold to a large tree.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.