Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line forum

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#22151 - 01/25/15 03:09 PM How much lure is needed at a trap set?
Cabezon Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: New Mexico, United States
I've set 10 traps in an area where there is a good amount of coyotes, fox, and bobcat but came up empty handed. Traps were left for two weeks and re-lured twice. I think I put to much lure and it spooked the game. I put enough lure on a stick near each set. How much lure is needed and is it better to place in the cubby hole with bait?

Edited by Cabezon (01/25/15 03:10 PM)

#22152 - 01/26/15 12:03 AM Re: How much lure is needed at a trap set? [Re: Cabezon]
RoadDawg Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Well, others here are more knowledgeable than I, but I would say that it depends on several factors. One being thee type of lure used, two being the type of set used, three being the outside air temp.

If using a dirt hole set, I would say a glob the size of a pea should be enough. Put bait in hole (if using it) and then your glob of lure down the hole make sure your hole is deep enough so the critter has to "work" the set to see what that lovely smell in there is coming from. Some folks put a glob of sheep's wool on top of the bait and lure for eye appeal.

It depends and mix it up some. Put just some lure in the bottom of the hole with a squirt of urine down the hole. Mix it up.

Use Bait & lure at some sets, some with just lure, some with lure and urine, but most importantly make your sets where the critters are traveling (look for sign - scat, tracks, etc.) and then be patient.

Make sure you treat your traps to help eliminate as much odor as possible.

Just don't give up!

#22156 - 01/27/15 02:32 AM Re: How much lure is needed at a trap set? [Re: Cabezon]
Cabezon Offline
Initiate Member

Oh no I won't give up, I am enjoying trapping big time! This has me hooked! I will take your advice and put it to use. I haven't put any lure down the hole but I think I over lured the sets. I put more than a pea size amount on a stick. I set 3 sets where there was a lot of activity but nothing in a couple weeks. I set two in an area where there were a lot of tracks but no strikes. I actually had one dig next to the set. So I'll get back and reset traps to see what I can get. Thank you for the advice.

Edited by Cabezon (01/27/15 02:36 AM)

#22159 - 01/28/15 12:37 AM Re: How much lure is needed at a trap set? [Re: Cabezon]
RoadDawg Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I hope it helps. Do what I have done, buy some books. Russ Carman has some really good books on fox trapping, John Crawford wrote a good book "The K9 Trappers Encyclopedia" as do many others. I think Hal has some very good informational stuff as well. Read as much as you can get ahold of.

As for putting more or less lure in the hole, it depends on the weather a lot too. Cold weather you will use more lure, warm weather less.

#22162 - 01/28/15 07:57 AM Re: How much lure is needed at a trap set? [Re: Cabezon]
tjm Offline

Loc: Jane,Missouri
I use a twig or grass stem of kitchen match size and dip it in lure, what sticks is enough imo. I relure only after a wash out rain. I figure that if I can smell it from several yards then the target can too.

#22164 - 01/29/15 03:07 AM Re: How much lure is needed at a trap set? [Re: Cabezon]
Cabezon Offline
Initiate Member

Thanks you guys for the advice, I will try what has been spoke on so far and will read up on trapping. Thanks

#22227 - 02/12/15 04:28 AM Re: How much lure is needed at a trap set? [Re: Cabezon]
trapnjon Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Wiping lure on the upper inside of a hole helps protect it from the elements...or just shoving your q-tip or stick of lure into the inside/top of the hole.

#22229 - 02/12/15 01:07 PM Re: How much lure is needed at a trap set? [Re: Cabezon]
castiron Offline

Loc: North Carolina USA
Cabezon if you did not put any lure down the hole where did you put it? The smell of the lure and or bait should draw your animal to it. Then you will need a trap where the animals feet are while they are trying to get your lure or bait.

#22242 - 02/14/15 04:33 AM Re: How much lure is needed at a trap set? [Re: Cabezon]
Cabezon Offline
Initiate Member

Castiron, I was putting the lure on a stick next to the hole but I am going to put it in the hole with the bait.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.