Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#22166 - 01/29/15 06:18 AM What animal makes these tracks?
Quebecois Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Hi guys, I am a new trapper and I have been reading these forums religiously for the last month. The amount of useful information available out here is amazing and has helped me a lot during my first season of trapping. The English is not my firs language so I am sorry if I make some mistakes while writing.
Last week, I had some kind of tracks and scat around one of my sets. I am unable to figure out what kind of animal left those. I am unable to see any paw or leg prints. The scat looks like it is from a carnivore animal and was very fresh at the moment I got to my set. I took a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_qwW4CToRA
The quality is not the best. I wonder if any of you experienced trappers has an idea on what kind of critter could have possibly left these in a fresh snow. The set can be seen at the end of the video and it is a 220 bucket set with a lot of meat set for a fisher.
Any ideas are welcome.

#22167 - 01/29/15 09:01 AM Re: What animal makes these tracks? [Re: Quebecois]
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Took a look at your video. When I see snow tunnels like that where I am it is Mink or Weasel.The body of the animal made the trough covering up the foot prints. They are hunting mice and voles under the snow.
Where you are located it could be either of those two and add Marten into the mix. Size of the tunnels and location will help you identify the culprit.

#22168 - 01/29/15 12:32 PM Re: What animal makes these tracks? [Re: Quebecois]
Quebecois Offline
Initiate Member

Thank you for a fast answer!
Those tracks were about 7 to 8 inches large. They are about 100 to 120 meters uphill away from the closest brook. I have never seen any mink’s sign on this creek, looks like that would be far away uphill for a mink and too large of a sign (7 to 8 inches large) anyhow. There is tree more traps from the creek to this set. The scat is pretty large, almost like my fiends Chihuahua-mix. I am wondering if it is not some kind a crippled or disabled critter.

#22169 - 01/29/15 05:20 PM Re: What animal makes these tracks? [Re: Quebecois]
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
If the trough is 7-8" then I would change my answer to Fisher. Again hunting mice and voles under the snow

Here is a good example why it is always a good idea to give a reference so size can be determined. I guessed at those being much smaller

Edited by Ric (01/29/15 05:21 PM)

#22170 - 01/29/15 06:09 PM Re: What animal makes these tracks? [Re: Quebecois]
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
It's tough to make a decision with only the video. At 7-8 inches it isn't weasel, mink, or marten. I've never seen fisher tracks look like that. If I had to guess, I'd say otter.

BTW: What language is being spoken in the video?

#22171 - 01/30/15 06:21 AM Re: What animal makes these tracks? [Re: Quebecois]
Quebecois Offline
Initiate Member

Hi guys, I am born in Ex-Yugoslavia and we moved to Canada about 18 years ago so I am talking to my father is Serbian. I started hunting waterfowl and small game couple years ago, then moose and deer. This year I got my trapping licence and got a small piece of land with a small shack on it. At the moment, I am only running 8 traps ant few snares; I wish I had more time but with a newborn it is a bit hard. Next year I try to make more.
During the deer season, on my trail camera, I always had a big male fisher roaming around my deer stand and even now I keep seeing tracks in the snow around my sets. Those were mostly leaning pole cubbies but he didn’t seem to commit. Last trap check I modified a bit the sets (some of them went on the ground and I tried to add some aluminium foil on a fishing line not far away from the sets for a visual attractant because I have a feeling that he was unable to find the sets. It must be bit hard for a cold nosed animal to smell even a super skunky ‘’bear fume’’ in the temperatures averaging -20 Celsius.) Let’s hope that I get him on my next trap check tomorrow.
Than you guys for answers and I will keep you updated.

#22172 - 01/30/15 06:35 AM Re: What animal makes these tracks? [Re: Quebecois]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Let me ask, how deep is that dry fluffy snow? If it's 10 or 12 inches deep, that could be a fox track. The turd size would be about right.

A fox won't travel very far, if it's pushing that much snow.

But, that's just a guess too.

#22173 - 01/30/15 07:15 AM Re: What animal makes these tracks? [Re: Quebecois]
Quebecois Offline
Initiate Member

At the moment of the video, there is about two feet of fluffy snow on the ground. Around my sets I see often a lot of fox and coyote tracks and I can see clearly where they stop (about 3 feet from the box) to investigate the set but for now they don’t seem to commit. I keep on leaving some small pieces of bait and they religiously pick it up. I am afraid they would eat my catch but for now everything that was caught was untouched. That’s why I am trying out the snares at the moment.

#22174 - 01/31/15 06:47 AM Re: What animal makes these tracks? [Re: Quebecois]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Above you said the trail was 7 to 8 inches wide, that would be too wide for (West Virginia) red fox. Quebec fox may be 7" across the chest?

Honestly, I've never tracked a fox or coyote in 2 feet of powder. 10 or 12 inches will hole up bobcats.

Once it settles down, or crusts over or gets wind-packed, then critters will move.

One thing you can do in a situation like that (sometimes), is take your boot or hand and scrape away the snow until you get down to it's foot print.

A lot of times you'll find a track that's been snowed on, or drifted shut, sometimes you can take a twig or your knife point and figure out which direction the animal was going.

But at 7 to 8 inches wide, I'd guess it's a coyote trail.

#22178 - 02/03/15 06:16 AM Re: What animal makes these tracks? [Re: Quebecois]
Quebecois Offline
Initiate Member

Sorry guys, no updates on the last trap check. Many fox tracks investigating my sets but no news and/or tracks from the ``mysterious`` critter on the video.
In this area, most of the coyotes are some kind of wolf/hybrid and from my experience would leave a much larger trail. This week, I had some of their tracks as well. I will try to post some pictures of it next trap check!!!

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.