Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line forum

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#1184 - 12/12/13 09:53 PM Larger Pan Size???
Idahonative Offline

Loc: Idaho
Does everyone agree that a larger pan size is better?

#1185 - 12/12/13 10:08 PM Re: Larger Pan Size???
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
No

#1186 - 12/12/13 10:30 PM Re: Larger Pan Size???
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
I thought the same thing last year, so I bought #3 pans for #2 traps. I started having more misses and got several toes. As per advice, mostly from Hal, I switched all the pans back this year the way they were supposed to be. No toes this year. If it ain't broke-- don't fix it.

Ron

#1187 - 12/13/13 01:09 AM Re: Larger Pan Size???
castiron Offline

Loc: North Carolina USA
I used 1.75 traps on land for years. I switched most of the pans for smaller 1.5 pans or cut the stock ones down some. They worked well for me and have produced good catches on fox and coyotes as well as a few other animals. I see no advantage in going larger on the pans.

#1188 - 12/17/13 06:08 PM Re: Larger Pan Size???
Paul of Harrisburg Offline

Loc: South Central Pennsylvania
I personaly wouldn't recommend larger than factory pans IF the pan gets hit by the upward movement of the levers......you may be able to add a down pan stop to mitigate that, adjust the stop so the pan drops enough to trigger the trap but doesn't allow the levers to contact the pan. That is if you really think you need a larger pan footprint.

#22190 - 02/05/15 05:09 PM Re: Larger Pan Size??? [Re: Idahonative]
FURTAKER Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Franklin County Virginia Snow ...
I bought a dozen of the x brand large pans for some #2s to try out on my water line for coon and mink. But before any body says omg yull get chewing and foot damage they were used on drowning sets only and never had a problem. The pans from x brand outdoors has cut outs for the levers. Before I got them I used to make bigger pans out of thin metal and bolt them to the regular pan. I also cut out the area for the levers too tho. They work great on long spring traps too. Yu can get a huge kill area on a number 3 double lonspgring. I know some guys are gunna disagree with me but in my own personal experience ive had good luck with them. I plan on putting them on my k9 and cat traps as well.

#22193 - 02/06/15 03:39 AM Re: Larger Pan Size??? [Re: Idahonative]
Mike McChurin Offline

Loc: NE Oklahoma
Some guys swear by them...

I would probably swear at them.

Mike

#22196 - 02/06/15 01:58 PM Re: Larger Pan Size??? [Re: Idahonative]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
After 150 years of trap manufacture, if larger pans were a good idea, traps would come equipped that way.

Bad idea.

Hal

#22210 - 02/10/15 04:45 AM Re: Larger Pan Size??? [Re: Idahonative]
tjm Offline

Loc: Jane,Missouri
Still have a couple fox traps I got years ago with cut down pans; I've seen pans removed completely in the theory that when the trigger was stepped on the the critter was in exactly the right place.
Big pan invites toe or toenail catch, imo.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.