Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#22209 - 02/10/15 02:31 AM Beavers not leaving the water ?
Gary B Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Southern Illinois
I am trapping a VERY secluded pond on public land. It is a 2 mile 4 wheeler ride into this spot and I had to cut a new trail to it so I don't think it's been trapped in several years. Several years ago this was just a dammed up creek, now it is a huge pond with several dams and several different water levels. I scouted the place it was just icing hip and there was beaver sign all over(several cut trees,well used slides,2 big lodges more than one feed pile). I am not experienced in under ice trapping and didn't do any good with the ice on.

When the ice started to melt I caught 2 otters and one beaver. After the ice was completely gone I have caught a few rats,2 beaver and another otter. The beavers don't seem to be traveling other than between the lodge and the food piles. There are more and more chewed sticks,the food piles are getting smaller but the slides are not being used at all. I don't want to set the lodge cause I don't want to catch a bunch of little ones. I have tried castor mounds and that's how I got one of the two. I have made a dam break and had a set off trap, in one spot and caught a toenail in the other. Suggestions ? ? ?

#22211 - 02/10/15 04:45 AM Re: Beavers not leaving the water ? [Re: Gary B]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Don't give up on the castor mounds.

Hal

#22215 - 02/10/15 10:45 PM Re: Beavers not leaving the water ? [Re: Gary B]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Not sure if I understand what you mean. You said a huge pond, with several dams. Do you mean one big pond, and other dams up or downstream? Are both big lodges in the same pond? Or is one above the other?

Those little feeding areas are a good place to put a foothold, if the water is deep enough to drown the animal.

Are there bank-dens at the other food piles?

If you haven't already, scout up and downstream 2 or 300 yards. They may be using other slides.

#22216 - 02/11/15 12:10 AM Re: Beavers not leaving the water ? [Re: Gary B]
Gary B Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Southern Illinois
Sorry yes one big pond and then another one with a dam directly below the big pond.Yes both of the big lodges are on the same pond,and both are active. No there is not a bank den at the other food piles,they are right along the main dam. I have been all around the big pond and there is only one slide that has the appearance of being used in 2 weeks.

I think I just need to be a little more patient and am expecting more out of a 3-4 day soak.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.